Allow the User to Hide Specific Events in VueMinder?

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!

Allow the User to Hide Specific Events in VueMinder?

Postby A Room with a Vue » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 pm

VM doesn't always properly handle deleted recurring events (individual events in a recurring series that are deleted on the online calendar sometimes still appear (or re-appear) in VM), and the only way to delete them from a subscribed calendar is to sever the subscription. And if you then re-enable the subscrption, those deleted events are back.

Therefore I'm wondering if it would be possible to have an option to hide specific events (maybe even a series of recurring events) from view in VM only, so that the subscription could be maintained, but those re-appearing events could more easily be ignored. I realize this risks users not seeing certain events, so maybe there could be a toggle onscreen to indicate that some events are hidden, and you could click it to display all hidden events. I have an email program that allows me to manually (or even automatically) hide certain messages with the option to 'show all' when needed - it's quite useful!
============================================================
CURRENT CONFIG: VueMinder Ultimate USB 2018.00, Windows 7 Pro / 64
A Room with a Vue = ARWAV (easier to type :!:)
A Room with a Vue

Re: Allow the User to Hide Specific Events in VueMinder?

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi ARWAV, thank you for the feedback. Deleted occurrences should not reappear when the subscription is synced. It sounds like there might be something wrong in the iCalendar file. This is definitely not the expected behavior.

In any case, if the external calendar supports categorizing events, you could give the recurring series a specific category like "Ignore". In VueMinder, click the Categories tab in the Calendar Items area of the window, and uncheck the box next to the "Ignore" category. Any events associated with that category will be hidden.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Allow the User to Hide Specific Events in VueMinder?

Postby A Room with a Vue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am

VueSoft wrote: Deleted occurrences should not reappear when the subscription is synced. It sounds like there might be something wrong in the iCalendar file. This is definitely not the expected behavior.

This is definitely a problem with VueMinder. Because of the 403 Forbidden issue, I am now manually exporting the ICS file and then resubscribing. Each time I resubscribe to an updated copy of the ICS file, the deleted recurring events either disappear or reappear, even when there is no visible change to the source Yahoo calendar. Note that the deleted events continue to properly not show up in the Yahoo calendar itself. Since the Yahoo calendar is displaying them correctly, by definition the fault has to be with VM (especially since this is a subscription, VM should display whatever Yahoo displays).

Now I realize this is an unusual occurrence, so it may not be worth the effort to fix. But VM still has issues properly handling Yahoo recurring events (specifically ones that had been deleted from Yahoo). The issues were mostly fixed with the 2017.04 update, but until the 403 issue came up, there were still occasional glitches where a previously deleted event would appear (but would not be visible in Yahoo). Now with this manual subscribing, the frequency of this problem has increased. I can deal with (hopefully the 403 issue will be fixed at Yahoo's end, or I will be migrating to another online calendar). But I thought you'd want to know that this is still an issue, so you can decide (for other possible users) whether to investigate it further.

By the way, another related issue: If I give the exported ICS file a new name (I was naming it with a date header) and then subscribe, many of the recurring events will duplicate (even ones that are not deleted). I solved this by saving the latest ICS data to a consistent filename ("LATEST ICS File.ics"). Then subscribing to the same file name each time seems to fix that issue. Other users might not notice this duplication issue so quickly, and not realize that it's happening at the time, and it's possible that this could cause future problems. So if it can't be fixed, the user should be notified of the issue. Then besides my solution of a fixed file name, another option would be to allow the user to (or have the program automatically) delete the entire contents of the VM file prior to subscribing, so that you're importing into a 'blank canvas'.

VueSoft wrote: In any case, if the external calendar supports categorizing events, you could give the recurring series a specific category like "Ignore". In VueMinder, click the Categories tab in the Calendar Items area of the window, and uncheck the box next to the "Ignore" category. Any events associated with that category will be hidden.

There are two problems with this: 1) Yahoo doesn't allow you to create new categories (and there is no "Ignore" one already). and more importantly 2) I do have a category for the recurring series, but it includes both existing and deleted events. Therefore if I have VM ignore that category, it will hide ALL occurrences of those events, not just the deleted ones that are incorrectly appearing in VM. Or am I misunderstanding you? If not, this is why I was asking if it would be possible to hide specific events (instead of a series). This is similar in concept to changing the color of specific events, which doesn't require you to break the subscription. BTW, I did try changing the color (black text on a black background), and while that does cause the events to not be visible, they still take up space, and so affect the display of other events occurring at the same time.
CURRENT CONFIG: VueMinder Ultimate USB 2018.00, Windows 7 Pro / 64
A Room with a Vue = ARWAV (easier to type :!:)
A Room with a Vue

Return to Suggestions