VueMinder 9.1 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

VueMinder 9.1 Beta

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:08 am

Update (April 29, 2012)
The beta is now completed and version 9.1 has been officially released. It can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download

I'm pleased to announce that beta versions are now available for version 9.1! See below for the complete list of updates.

Download links...
VueMinder Lite
VueMinder_Lite_Setup_9.1.0_BETA6.exe

VueMinder Pro
VueMinder_Pro_Setup_9.1.0_BETA6.exe

VueMinder Ultimate
VueMinder_Ultimate_Setup_9.1.0_BETA6.exe

Notes...
The most significant change is related to syncing with Google Calendar. VueMinder has been modified to use the latest Google Calendar API (v3), which should fix a number of syncing problems that have been recently noted. I believe Google has been making changes to their servers to support the new v3 API, which has inadvertently broken some of the functionality of the v2 API, resulting in the syncing problems. The v2 API has been deprecated and Google is no longer supporting that version. The v3 API, at least in the initial testing, appears to be much more reliable.

Updating VueMinder to use this version of the API basically required a full rewrite of the syncing code, since the new API is vastly different that the previous one. You should see a big improvement when syncing with Google Calendar.

Due to daily query limits Google has placed on VueMinder's access to Google Calendar, the Lite version has been modified to only support automatic syncing with Google Calendar every 15 minutes, instead of almost instantly like the Pro and Ultimate versions. Syncing can be manually commanded at any time by using the F5 key or by right-clicking the calendar and selecting "Sync Calendar" from the popup menu. A sync button has also been added to the status bar, next to where it shows when the calendar was last synced.

On the plus side, all versions will get the new ability to select background images for dates in the Month view. I'm really happy with how this feature has turned out, especially the image search feature (right-click a date, select the expand the "Day Background" menu, and then select "Search" to see what I mean). The Pro/Ultimate versions also get the ability to link background images to events, via the Appearance tab of the Event Editor. Also, the View menu gets a new "Color Event Sidebar" command for allowing simultaneous viewing of colors. For example, when viewing colors based on calendar, you can get a priority color sidebar.

A series of blog articles has been written to describe the most significant improvements in more detail, with plenty of screenshots to show off all the new capabilities. The articles can be read here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61

Note, if you're updating from a previous version, VueMinder will attempt to convert previously synced Google Calendars to the new API. If the calendars belong to other Google Calendar accounts (not the one you're logged into), VueMinder will be unable to locate the calendar and a message will appear asking if you want to re-add the calendar. If you select "Yes", the local calendar will be removed and the "Add Google Calendar" command will appear. If the calendar isn't listed, click the "Use a different account" command in the Google account drop-down list located in the upper-left corner, and then follow the instructions for syncing with other accounts.

The full release notes can be found below and in the posts that follow.

VueMinder Lite 9.1 Beta 6
Here's a summary of the updates in the Lite version. These improvements are also in the Pro and Ultimate versions.
  • Added the ability to select background colors or pictures (both local and web) for dates in the Month view.
  • Added an option when opening a recurring event to edit the selected occurrence and all that follow, without affecting previous occurrences.
  • Added the ability to toggle calendar overlay mode in the Month view. When overlay mode is turned off, each calendar will be displayed separately. A horizontal scrollbar will allow switching between the displayed calendars.
  • Improved syncing with Google Calendar to use the new v3 API, which fixes many syncing problems.
  • Improved syncing with Google Calendar to include calendar and event colors.
  • Improved the Day and Week views when overlay mode is disabled, to allow grouping of calendar columns within date columns, or vice versa.
  • Improved the visual look-and-feel of the user interface. Toned down the appearance of lesser-used components, and made important components, such as the Settings button in the upper-right corner, more pronounced and easier to find.
  • Improved the appearance editor to make it more clear how to achieve a solid background with a different color border, rather than a gradient blend.
  • Improved the text-to-speech voice reminders to speak more clearly.
  • Improved the status bar with a Sync Now button, shown to the right of the text indicating when a calendar was last synced.
  • Corrected the Month view to allow more events to fit within the available space, both when displayed on the screen and when printing. In some cases, white space was shown even when there was enough space for another event to appear.
  • Corrected the Desktop Calendar to not be intermittently hidden when the Show Desktop command in Windows is used.
  • Corrected a window refresh problem when using a non-Aero theme in Windows Vista/7 and windows are closed while displayed over the Desktop Calendar. A ghost of the closed window would appear within the Desktop Calendar.
  • Corrected the popup reminder window to activate newly added reminders if other reminders are already displayed. This will ensure the new reminders have any associated sounds played.
  • Corrected the Day view on the Desktop Calendar to restore the previously selected timeslot length.
  • Corrected clicking of events in the Week view to refresh the Month and Day views so they show the selected event's date. This is most evident when the tabs are arranged side-by-side.
  • Corrected a problem with importing events from ICS files that were previously exported by VueMinder, if any of the exported events have reminders scheduled to appear after the event starting time, rather than before.
  • Removed the Redo command, due to a number of problems introduced when redoing changes, especially if calendars are synced or changes to recurring events are undone/redone.
  • Many minor improvements and corrections.

VueMinder Pro 9.1 Beta 6
The Pro version includes all the improvements made to the Lite version. In addition, it adds the following...
  • Added the ability to select background colors or pictures (both local and web) for events, via the Appearance tab of the Event Editor.
  • Added a "Color Event Sidebar" command to the View menu, for allowing simultaneous display of calendar, category, priority, or location colors.
  • Improved the Distribution List Editor. The contact lists on the left and right side of the window can now be grouped, sorted, searched, and filtered. All the columns shown in the Contacts tab of the main window are also available.
  • Corrected syncing with Outlook, when events are deleted from Outlook. The events were not being deleted from VueMinder when syncing.
  • Corrected importing event from Excel or CSV files if there is extra white space in the column header names.
  • Corrected importing events from Excel or CSV files if some rows have calendar names specified but other rows have blank calendar names. The rows with blank calendar names should be imported into the calendar name specified on the Import window, but were not.
  • Corrected importing tasks from Excel or CSV files. Any blank rows were being imported as "New Appointment".
  • Many minor improvements and corrections.

VueMinder Ultimate 9.1 Beta 6
The Ultimate version includes all the improvements made to the Lite and Pro versions. In addition, it adds the following...
  • Corrected a problem with duplicate custom fields sometimes being generated when publishing/subscribing the same calendar. The duplicates also could not be removed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder 9.1 Beta - Ultimate

Postby JohnBCallander » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 am

It may be something to do with the object fault or that I have tried putting fields in to a new event in the immediate past but I still have problems with the custom fields.

I deleted the extra ones we had in the system but only as far as to remove the duplicates, but after saving and opening they had all gone.

I have put in some new ones but all others except the last one I put in disappeared but I did move one up before saving the new sequence.

I would like to know if I need to go back to 9.03 to avoid upsetting published data in our live system synced between 4 computers.

Hope that indicates the issues.
JohnBCallander

Re: VueMinder 9.1 Beta

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Beta 2 is now available. The download links are provided above. Here's a summary of what has changed since Beta 1...
  • Corrected an error message when attempting to open the Calendar Properties window.
  • Corrected the Calendar Properties window to properly list default recipients for email, SMS, or voice reminders, if any default recipients were previously specified.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 am

:shock: Wow that was fast, even for you Dan. I was just about to report the error message when opening calendar properties.
gjbth

Re: VueMinder 9.1 Beta 2

Postby multinaturalist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Dan, I installed VueMinder 9.1 Beta 2 Pro version -- when I move from one tab to another (Month, Year, Task, Notes, Contacts, etc.), I get portions of the previously viewed tab header area showing through the current tab header (not the tab itself, but the bar with the 'search' box).

I am running Win 7 64-bit
Nvidia GTX 460M video card
non-Aero theme (But it does this with Aero themes as well.)

Is there something peculiar about my system you need to know about?
multinaturalist

Re: VueMinder 9.1 Beta 2

Postby multinaturalist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Dan, I uninstalled the Beta 2 version, then did a clean install. That solved the problem.

The problem seems to have resulted from installing over my previous v9.0.3 pro version. Perhaps you can figure out why this effect occurred, and what was being left over from the earlier install (my guess at what happened) that shouldn't have been there.

EDIT: corrected version number of my original install.
multinaturalist

Re: VueMinder 9.1 Beta 3

Postby VueSoft » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:19 am

Beta 3 is now available. The download links are provided above. This version fixes all known problems related to Google Calendar syncing. It also fixes a number of other bugs. Here's a summary of what has changed since Beta 2...

VueMinder Lite 9.1 Beta 3
  • Corrected a number of problems related to Google Calendar syncing.
  • Corrected the Today button in the Month view to properly show the current date. This wasn't working in certain cases.
  • Corrected display of events in the Desktop Calendar if the event background color is transparent and the text color is black. The text wasn't appearing.
  • Corrected problems creating new categories or renaming existing ones.
  • Corrected the calendar name color in the Desktop Calendar, when the Day or Week tabs are shown and calendar overlay mode is disabled to make calendars display side-by-side in columns.
  • Corrected the "Preview" button in the popup reminder or desktop calendar settings of the Event Editor, to appear on both the "When" and "Content" tabs. Also renamed the button to "Show Preview", to clarify its intent.
  • Corrected the event title shown in the Details pane when the title contains < or > characters. Those characters weren't appearing in the Details pane.
  • Corrected an intermittent "Data Error" message that would appear on some computers and would keep coming back after being closed.

In addition to the above, the Pro version has these changes:

VueMinder Pro 9.1 Beta 3
  • Improved Google Calendar syncing to use data compression, which should decrease the amount of data transmitted and help to slightly speed up syncing.
  • Improved the Details Pane for events that are shared through VueMinder Server, to show the event creator's name and when the event was last modified/synced.
  • Corrected syncing of repeating tasks with Google Calendar. If the task is marked completed outside of VueMinder, the next instance of the task was not being properly synced from VueMinder back to Google Calendar.
  • Corrected problems syncing recurring events over a local network, especially after adding an existing shared calendar to another computer. Any recurring event variations wouldn't appear until after VueMinder was restarted.
  • Corrected the Event List when rows are grouped to preserved the collapsed/expanded state of each group after an event is modified. Previously, the groups would all expand after each change.
  • Corrected the Contact List to preserve sort order if row grouping is disabled and the full list is shown after previously searching or filtering.
  • Corrected the Distribution List editor to not re-expand all grouped rows when a contact is added or removed from the distribution list. Row groups that are collapsed will not re-expand.
  • Corrected the Event Defaults tab in the Calendar Properties to properly show any previously specified default recipients for email, SMS, or phone reminders.
  • Corrected handling of meeting requests in a shared calendar. If the request recipient is a contributor to the same shared calendar that owns the meeting request, declining the request will no longer delete the shared meeting from all computers.

The Ultimate version adds the following changes:

VueMinder Ultimate 9.1 Beta 3
  • Corrected intermittent problems syncing notes and tasks over the local network, especially after a note or task is rescheduled by dragging.
  • Corrected the custom field ordering, as modified using the Move Up and Move Down buttons on the Custom tab, to be properly restored the next time the editor window is opened.
  • Corrected intermittent problems with contact data being removed if data is shared over a local network and there's a mix of computers running both the Pro and Ultimate versions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder 9.1 Beta 4

Postby VueSoft » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:12 am

Beta 4 is now available. This will probably be the final beta prior to the official release, unless any show-stopper problems are found. We're now in the home stretch prior to an official release.

Here's what has changed since Beta 3...
  • Improved the Lite version syncing with Google Calendar, to support automatic syncing. The minimum interval that auto-syncing will occur (only when necessary) is 15 minutes, as opposed to 20 seconds in the Pro and Ultimate versions. However, that's better than forcing users to manually sync every time. Note, this improvement is pending approval by Google of a quota increase for the number of API requests VueMinder can perform each day.
  • Improved the Day and Week views to show event starting and ending times. This option can be toggled on/off via the "Show Start/End Times" option in the view settings, accessed by clicking the gear button in the upper-right corner of the tab.
  • Improved printing of the Day and Week view layouts to include options for including start/end times and descriptions (if enough space is available).
  • Improved the web page output of the "Save as Web Page" command. Day backgrounds will now show the same background colors or images that are shown in the main window. The background images will also be included when uploading to an FTP server. Note, the generated web pages require an HTML5/CSS3 compatible browser.
  • Corrected some additional bugs when syncing with Google Calendar.
  • Corrected the Day Background context menu commands when right-clicking a date in the Month view. If an event already had a background image for the clicked date, the commands were not overriding the event image, and appeared to have no effect.
  • Corrected selection of events in the Day view when multiple day columns are shown, to not move the date containing the event to the first column.
  • Minor bug corrections and improvements.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 am

There will be at least one more beta. It's not quite ready yet, but the following functionality will be restored (and improved):
  • Ability to sync event calendars with any number of different Google Calendar accounts. This was removed due to complications with the new OAuth 2.0 method of Google Calendar authentication. However, I've figured out a way to make it work. There are still a few minor issues I'm working through, mostly with how the default account is handled.
  • Ability to sync task calendars with any number of different Google Calendar accounts. This is a new capability that wasn't available previously. It's a significant improvement because Google doesn't support sharing task lists between accounts, so VueMinder will support something that can't be done otherwise.
  • Ability to both sync the same calendar over the local network as well as Google Calendar. Originally I was going to give up on this because of the number of ways it can go wrong. However, this is a critical feature to several large customers, so I'm going to spend some more time working out the kinks. I think I have it nearly completed.

A new beta should be available within the next few days. The original plan was to release on April 22. However, due to the changes noted above, the release date will be pushed out at least 1 week, to allow for more time testing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby omid7092 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 am

Hi Dear
now im working with Vueminder ultimate 9 and im waiting for the next version of this program !
so i have 2 questions ....
1_when the final version of Vueminder will be realese?
2_why the latest version of Vueminder 9 doesnt have a offline help for this version? (this offline help is for 8 version and is not up2date)

and sry for wrong typing ...i cant speak english very well :D
tnx Sir
omid7092

Next

Return to Technical Support