How to assign categories to events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

How to assign categories to events

Postby gjbth » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:06 am

hello, I have just found Vuesoft and I am testing Vueminder software. I have one question. Can I assign categories/labels to events as in other calendar software. i.e. Birthday/Holiday/Business/Work etc.

I cannot find this option anywhere, or am I missing it somewhere.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Re: How to assign categories to events

Postby VueSoft » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:16 am

In VueMinder Calendar, "categories" are assigned by adding events to different "calendars". For example, you could create a calendar just for birthdays.

Each calendar can have its own unique appearance, so you can easily distinguish which calendar (aka category) an event belongs to when looking at the day/week/month view. You can also filter calendars by unchecking them in the calendar list.

Here's are some links to more information to help get you started:
http://www.vuesoftsite.com/products/vueminder/faq/everyday_use.html#FAQ10
http://www.vuesoftsite.com/products/vueminder/help/calendarlist.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:58 am

Thank you for the prompt reply, I never thought of individual calendars for each category, pretty obvious really... should have looked through the help files befoe posting.

Best Regards
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:39 pm

No worries. I'm glad you posted the question, since this might be something other people have a question about.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby jdk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 am

I'm giving VueMinder a trial at the moment, and I also noticed that it does not support categories.

Personally, I have to say that I find using separate calendars to be a clumsy alternative. It seems standard in other calendar products I have used to support categories (I currently use Rainlendar and Thunderbird/Lightning, which share a single iCalendar file and both programs use categories).

On a more serious note, I have noticed that when I share an .ics calendar created in Rainlendar/Lightning, VueMinder doesn't just ignore the categories, the program strips the categories from the .ics file.

I couldn't believe this the first time I did it, so I ran the test twice. Each time, VueMinder deleted categories from the file. This was using:

File --> Add shared calendar from LAN

I realise you may only have anticipated that VueMinder users would share with other VueMinder users, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me to expect to be able to share an .ics calendar with other applications, and at the very least expect VueMinder to ignore entries it doesn't understand. This seems the basic principle of iCalendar -- a common, shared standard.

Currently, I have Google Calendar, Rainlendar and Lightning set up to share the same file, and it works very smoothly, even though Google does not support categories. VueMinder's stripping of the .ics file would worry me.
jdk

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on improving VueMinder to allow one or more categories to be specified when creating or modifying an event. The Event List will also be enhanced to allow sorting and filtering based on assigned categories. Separate calendars will continue to be supported, since that mechanism allows a lot of other capabilities, like having different event defaults, and different publication settings for each calendar.

I'll also improve the exporting of ics files to not lose imported categories. VueMinder is currently ignoring the categories when importing, and since they're being ignored (in other words, not stored in VueMinder's calendar data file after being imported), the categories are not being exported.

I'll reply to this thread when the updates are ready. Thanks again!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby jdk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am

VueSoft wrote:I'll also improve the exporting of ics files to not lose imported categories. VueMinder is currently ignoring the categories when importing

The point I was making was that, in my tests, VueMinder is not ignoring the categories, it is stripping them out as soon as you add a LAN calendar. That's why I posted above.

As I said, I was using the "Add shared calendar from LAN" feature to access a calendar created by Rainlendar (a standard iCalendar file). This calendar included category information on various events. I checked the .ics file as soon as I added the calendar to VueMinder.

VueMinder had stripped the categories immediately on adding the calendar. That was my concern. It has nothing to do with exporting etc.
jdk

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:44 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I believe we're talking about the same thing, but you wouldn't know that unless you knew what the program is doing under the hood (which I like to think I do, since I wrote it!). VueMinder is using same code to generate an ics file when sharing to the LAN as it's using to export.

When this is corrected, categories will be supported when using any of the sharing techniques (i.e., export, share to LAN, or publish), since they all use the same underlying code for generating the .ics file. Note, VueMinder doesn't actually store its data using ics, it simply uses ics as a means to share calendars with other applications or instances of VueMinder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby jdk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks for the clarification. I understand now. However I still feel that it's bad practice by VueMinder to erase category entries in a shared .ics file created by another program.

What VueMinder is doing is not "sharing" in the accepted sense (of sharing an ics file with another program) -- instead it is importing the ics file, then creating its own calendar, and then exporting the file back to ics again, deleting the categories and completely overwriting the original ics. As a user, that's a big surprise to me. Bottom line is, no VueMinder user should consider sharing an ics file created with a different calendar program (unless they are happy to lose category info). You should make that clear to users.

People using multiple calendar programs (for whatever reason) are used to programs being able to share an .ics file in a harmonious fashion, where each individual program just ignores elements (e.g. categories) that it doesn't understand.
Last edited by jdk on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdk

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work to improve this and will reply to this thread when an update is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Technical Support