Recurring Event Series has N Variances?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Recurring Event Series has N Variances?

Postby allenk23 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Dan. I'm not sure when this problem started for me, but likely in one of the last two builds. When I go to open one occurence of a recurring event, such as to add something to the event's Description, I receive a dialog box with the following message:

This recurring event series has 1 variances. Would you like to reset all the events in the series to match the current settings?

Note that the number in the ...has 1 variances... above could be any number from 1 to whatever. I do not know what this dialog/error means or how to correct it. Typically, if I answer (only options are Yes and No), I must be selecting wrong, as at least the first occurence of the event series disappears altogether. That is, it's not marked as Completed, but rather totally disappears. My only option is to Restore from a prior backup. :(

Can you please advise why this is happening, what it means, and most importantly, how to avoid it?

Many thanks as always,
Allen
allenk23

Re: Recurring Event Series has N Variances?

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Allen. This message is not an error and you're not doing anything wrong. It was added to allow the option of updating all previously modified variances (ie, events that have a slash through the recurrence symbol) to match the series. For example, if the series description is updated, there was previously no way to cause the description to be updated in occurrences that had been previously modified. The message you're seeing is basically asking if you'd like to update ALL events in the series to match the latest changes, or leave any previously modified occurrences alone.

I'm surprised you're seeing the first occurrence get completely removed. It is supposed to be updated to match the series (not deleted!). At least, that's how it's working when I test it. Maybe there's something else going on here. Is your calendar synced with Google or Outlook, or shared over a LAN? My guess is there's something related to syncing that is causing this to not work correctly. If you have more detail, I can try to duplicate to the problem.

Also, if you happen to see this again, could you try commanding Undo (Ctrl+Z)? That might be an easier way of restoring your event, rather that restoring from a backup copy.

While I work on fixing this, you can avoid the problem by clicking "No" when asked if you'd like to reset variances.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby allenk23 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi again Dan. Thanks for replying. No, I do not synch with Outlook or Google at all. I also don't share over a LAN. I cannot be sure if I actually tried Ctrl-Z to Undo. Thought I tried, but can't be sure. Let me do some more testing and I'll report back. In the meantime, suppose I want to complete the following scenario: Let's say I have a recurring event, the first occurence of which was some time in the past. Further suppose I now want to edit the Description to include that new entry in ALL occurences. How should I do that? I would have thought that I needed to go back to the very first occurence (I realize when you open any occurence, it asks if you want to open just that occurence or the entire series) and enter that description. But even before doing so, the message occurs. What is the correct way to handle that?

Again, I'll do some more testing to see what I can find.

Thanks,
Allen
allenk23

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Allen,

I'll try to better explain how this works...

When initially opening an event that belongs to a recurring series, you'll get a message asking whether to open the single occurrence or the series. If you open a single occurrence, the changes will only be applied to that one occurrence, which becomes a "variance". A variance is also created when a reminder is dismissed or snoozed for an event belonging to a recurrence seried. Basically, anything that is different about an event belonging to a recurring series, such as its reminder status or description, will cause that event's occurrence to become a variance.

If you open the entire series, then changes you make will apply to the whole series and not just the selected occurrence. However, here's where the second dialog comes into play. When saving the changes to the event and closing the Event Editor, if there were any existing variances in the edited series, you'll be asked if you'd like to update those as well. If you select "No", then only non-variances (such as future occurrences), will be affected. If you select "Yes", then ALL occurrences/variances will be modified to exactly match the updated series.

There could be cases where you intentionally changed the description for one occurrence, and don't want the new description for the entire series to be applied to the existing variance. That's when you'd say "No" to the second dialog. And in your case, because previous variances are being deleted (???) instead of being reset to match the series, you'd select "No" to workaround the problem. In your example, where you'd like to update the description for an entire series including variances, you would choose to open the entire series for the first message, and choose to also apply the changes to the variances in the second message.

Hopefully that makes more sense now. I'm still not sure why selecting "Yes" to the second message is causing variances to be deleted. That is something I'm definitely not seeing. Are your past variances on different dates than the series? Maybe they're not being deleted but being reset to the dates as specified in the recurrence pattern. If you're looking at a Day view, it could appear the events are being deleted, when they are just being moved.

Please let me know what you find after your testing. So far, I've been unsuccessful in replicating this behavior, and I've tried a number of different scenarios.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby allenk23 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks for the great detail. Makes sense. I've been testing this morning and cannot duplicate my original problem of the event -- usually the initial event in the series -- disappearing/deleting. Keep in mind that my testing was done with only in a newly added calendar. I have several calendars, but didn't want to take any chances with an existing calendar and/or existing recurring event. Again, it works just as you've described. I'll continue and maybe armed with the security of being able to restore, I'll try with an existing calendar and also an existing recurring event. So far, all is good. :)

Thanks,
Allen
allenk23

Return to Technical Support