Newbie questions

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Another crop of questions

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Okay, I rebooted to see what would happen. Anything that was created as an "Event" will show the time, even if the presence of those numbers crowds out part of the entry title. Contrarily, anything that was created as a "Task" will drop the time if the task's title is wordy enough. That works just fine for me, I'm afraid now you're going to "fix" it so I can't do that workaround. But it really would be great to be able to choose time shown or not (yet still have it land where the chosen time places it, like between appointments). To reiterate (to the point of being redundant), appointments I do want to show the time. But tasks... I want to place those wherever I want, whether between events, above, below, or wherever. IMPORTANT: I really have a feeling this would be a good feature for other people too. How many times have you gone on an appt. somewhere, only to realize on your way home there was another stop you'd have made if you'd remembered it. It kind of merits its own entry ability, eh?

Now something else. I think this might be a bug but it's annoying. If I click on LIST and select Events, it shows me my event titles, like it should. Same with Notes. However, if I select Tasks, I don't see my titles at all. Each entry title reads, "Vuesoft VueMinder Applications Task." I have no idea what's in any task (in List) unless I click on each one individually.

Third thing: I did fortunately save the layout I really like, and I don't even know how, I think a window popped up at some point and asked if I wanted to save it but I don't know how to duplicate that in case I modify it. Pray tell?? I'm tailoring it as I go along, but would like to save a couple variations until I land on "perfect-for-me." But this is about... when I launched the calendar fresh after a reboot, it came up with the default layout again. Do I have to go to View--Layouts--"MyLayoutName" every time I turn off/on computer and launch calendar? Or is there a way to make my customized arrangement the view that comes up automatically?

I'm really starting to love this tool. Good job.
Carol
C-1000

Re: Newbie questions

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 16, 2010 10:07 pm

It appears the task list has a bug. The 'Object' column you're seeing are not supposed to be visible - it's for internal use by the software. I'll work on fixing this for the next release. In the meantime, you can adjust the column width to make it almost hidden. The task titles should be displayed in the 'Task' column. If you don't see a Task column, try right-clicking the column header and ensuring the 'Task' option is checked.

The window layout should be saved when the program is closed, and the most recent window layout restored when the program is started. I'm not sure why you're seeing the default layout being loaded when the program starts, but that sounds like a bug. I'll work on replicating the problem.

You can save the current layout using the 'Save Window Layout' command on the Window menu. If you select an existing (previously saved) window layout file, the file will be overwritten with the current layout. Also, if you expand the 'Recent Window Layouts' submenu, you'll see a list of recently saved or loaded layout files. Note each of these has a shortcut key. For example, to load the previous layout, press the Ctrl+Alt+2 keys at the same time. This could be handy if you frequently switch between window layouts.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby C-1000 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks -
Okay, right-clicking on the Day/List/Year/Timeline header only brings up a drop down menu that contains 2 choices, Filter and Export to Excel (sometimes, not always). However, right clicking in the body of that pane brings up those 2 choices always.

What is the name of that pane? The main headers are as above, then underneath "List", if checked, appears tasks, events, notes. I don't know what that whole pane is called, but have needed to refer to it several times.

Previously mentioned (but increasingly wished for) features additions:

Nagging: I reeeeally would love it if you could give options for user-defined title entry (box) shapes so that a user can shape calendar entries differently for Events, Tasks and Notes. It's pretty easy to spot that a Note is a Note because it's a fixed color, and I'm not colorizing any of my other boxes the same. But I can't tell what's been entered as a task or an event by looking at the calendar, and they act differently. Each has to be double-clicked to see whether it says Event or Task.

Nagging: Same "reeeeeally" if one could drag/drop tasks anywhere they want (like between two events) in the calendar. That would be a big help.

New: Same "reeeeeally" if there was a way to toggle on and off whether Notes (that are pinned to a specific date) could be displayed OR NOT on the list pane. It would be great if I could have an ongoing list of things to do that are not pinned to a specific day without having all the ones that are pinned, repeated there. A way of doing a workaround would be fine too... like if they appeared on the list in alphabetical order, one could start the unpinned ones (that you really want to see in list format somewhere) with the letter A to make them show up first. I have a feeling this is asking too much, but oh man, if those Notes could be drag-dropped around on the list pane, that would really be cadillac.

While these are all wish list items of one user, do understand that I've been spending a LOT of time with this calendar, because I could see in very short order that it's going to become my right hand. These are all things that would add in making your software indispensible.

Onward to what might be a glitch: I made a Note and pinned it to Today on the calendar. (A to-do list). I highlighted one of the entries on it so it would stand out as urgent. When I later moused over the event, the black pop-up window that comes up containing what is written in that note -- the part I highlighted showed as just a yellow smear, you could not read what was written in it. I opened the note and tried to remove the highlighting, and can't find anywhere in that drop-down to remove it. Should the highlighting obliterate the writing in it on the black screened pop-up? And in any event, how do you remove highlighting? I wasn't able to find a choice that said "None".

ADDING TO THIS:
Sounds: I've looked in Options/Reminders and can't find a place to universally set the sound that would play for an audible alert. Do you have to set which sound every time you do a note, event, etc. individually? Or is there just a way to click that you do want a sound, and which sound will be automatically played.

Also - I did set a sound for a reminder and it does not play. Another one does. Do you happen to know what I have to do in Control Panel to enable a particular sound?
Thanks,
Carol
C-1000

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Sorry for the delayed response...

Okay, right-clicking on the Day/List/Year/Timeline header only brings up a drop down menu that contains 2 choices, Filter and Export to Excel (sometimes, not always). However, right clicking in the body of that pane brings up those 2 choices always.

The right-click menu I was referring to previously, the one that shows column names, is when right-clicking on the column header. When you do this, you should see a menu listing the available columns. Displayed columns will have a checkmark.

What is the name of that pane? The main headers are as above, then underneath "List", if checked, appears tasks, events, notes. I don't know what that whole pane is called, but have needed to refer to it several times.

The List tab/pane is referred to as the "List View".

Nagging: I reeeeally would love it if you could give options for user-defined title entry (box) shapes so that a user can shape calendar entries differently for Events, Tasks and Notes. It's pretty easy to spot that a Note is a Note because it's a fixed color, and I'm not colorizing any of my other boxes the same. But I can't tell what's been entered as a task or an event by looking at the calendar, and they act differently. Each has to be double-clicked to see whether it says Event or Task.

The only time tasks should be indistinguisable from events is when the "Color Events Using" menu option under the View menu is set to display colors based on category or priority. Otherwise, tasks will always have a white background and either black text (not complete and not overdue), bold red text (overdue), or crossed out gray text (completed).

If you're displaying colors based on category or priority, you can still hover the mouse over the item to tell which type it is. If it's a task, it will show a due date in the tooltip. Events will never have the word "Due" before their starting date.

Nagging: Same "reeeeeally" if one could drag/drop tasks anywhere they want (like between two events) in the calendar. That would be a big help.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have this in my list of possible future improvements.

New: Same "reeeeeally" if there was a way to toggle on and off whether Notes (that are pinned to a specific date) could be displayed OR NOT on the list pane. It would be great if I could have an ongoing list of things to do that are not pinned to a specific day without having all the ones that are pinned, repeated there. A way of doing a workaround would be fine too...

You can use the filter ability to show rows only having blank values in the Date column. To do this, click the little filter icon on the Date column header. Uncheck "(All)", and then check "(Blanks)". Click OK to apply the filter.

Onward to what might be a glitch: I made a Note and pinned it to Today on the calendar. (A to-do list). I highlighted one of the entries on it so it would stand out as urgent. When I later moused over the event, the black pop-up window that comes up containing what is written in that note -- the part I highlighted showed as just a yellow smear, you could not read what was written in it.

Unless you specify a text color along with the highlight color, the program will assume an automatic color. In the case of the note editor, it assumes black. When displayed in the tooltip, it assumes white, to make the text show up better. If you highlight something yellow, you should also specifically set the text color of the highlighted text to something that will contrast well with yellow, such as black. Basically, just select the highlighted text and click the font color on the toolbar to make it black. It won't appear any different in the editor, but it will in the tooltip. I'll see if there's a way to make the automatic text color work better, since it's currently not checking if the text has a highlight.

Sounds: I've looked in Options/Reminders and can't find a place to universally set the sound that would play for an audible alert. Do you have to set which sound every time you do a note, event, etc. individually? Or is there just a way to click that you do want a sound, and which sound will be automatically played.

This can be done using the "Event Defaults" tab in the Calendar Properties window. Select the default reminder action and sound file, and then any new events created belonging to that calendar will have the specified default sound. This can't be done for tasks, only events.

Also - I did set a sound for a reminder and it does not play. Another one does. Do you happen to know what I have to do in Control Panel to enable a particular sound?

I'm not sure what you mean. You're hearing a different sound file play, other than the one you selected? I'm not sure how that would happen. Are you using a popup reminder or desktop alert? What happens when you open the event or task editor and click the "Preview" button for the reminder. Does it play the correct sound then?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Previous

Return to Technical Support