Newbie questions

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Newbie questions

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:36 am

Hi-
I downloaded Lite, played with it for 5 minutes, then downloaded the 30-day trial version for Pro. I'm into Day 4 of that. This is looking like a terrific calendaring system. I haven't seen others, but this does what I want from what I can tell.

Meanwhile, in setting it up, I've looked at some of your help files, and many things refer to version 5. What I downloaded was version 7, which updated this morning to a newer version which I guess you just completed. But somewhere else in the help files, it refers to version 7.0 "about to be released." Am I getting an old link to old help files?? If so, how do I fix my link so it sends me to current ones?

Secondly, one of those help files (referring to "V 7.0 about to be released") talked about the ability to write notes that are not pinned to a date, and then be able to see them in a list. It had a screen shot, where there was a tab for "List" and under that was a list (in yellow background) with a couple of notes on it. How do I do that? My screen doesn't have a Lists tab.

The pop-up reminder worked great yesterday! I kept hitting snooze, and it kept nagging me until I finally got sick of seeing it and did the task, lol.

Thanks in advance, I'll check back in a little while. I've picked up that your name is Dan, so howdy. Just FMI, what time zone are you in?
Carol
C-1000

Re: Newbie questions (2)

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 am

Adding to the above.

I just wrote a note (actually suggestions or questions re this program) since I've been playing around with it for the last hour, and I noticed the little box to pin (or not) the note to a date. I unchecked that box, figuring then I would see the List tab and that perhaps I wasn't seeing it because I had no unpinned notes. Well, there's no Lists tab, and I cannot find that note anywhere! Where'd it go?

Other questions/wish list issues I can recall from that note...
1. Is there any way to have a Note (or a task) land where you want it... say between 2 events? From what I can tell, all notes and tasks show up above any calendared events.
2. Is there some way to change the shape of the boxes that tasks, notes and "events" appear in? I can't tell what's a task, note or event because they all have rounded corners. Yes, I know I can colorize them differently, but I'd love to be able to use my priority colors on all three (or at least on tasks and events) but have a different shape for events and for tasks. Say a squared box for events, and a rounded cornered box for tasks.
3. Is there a way to stretch an event (or task) across three days? I did that with a Note, and it stayed until I clicked on it, and then it shrank again to just filling up one day.

I'd really like to be able to find how to use that Notes feature so they are not necessarily pinned to a date, but I can find them again. :)
C-1000

Re: Newbie questions

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 16, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Carol, welcome to the forums. The Help documentation is currently being updated for the latest release. I'm hoping to have the documentation updates completed in about a month, but it's a pretty large task so it could take longer.

You should have tabs named "Day", "Week", "Month", "Year", "Timeline", and "List". If you're not seeing all these tabs, there could be a problem with your window layout. You might be able to fix this by going to the Window menu and selecting the '"Reset Window Layout" command. If that doesn't fix it, please let me know.

Regarding your other questions...
1. Currently, there is no way to do this. Notes will be positioned above events because the items shown in a day are sorted based on starting time, and notes don't have a starting time.
2. Thank you for the suggestion regarding different corner or shape styles for events, tasks, and notes. I've added this to my list of possible future improvements.
3. You can stretch an event or task by opening it and then adjusting its duration. You can also mark an event as "all day" in the editor, and then drag its left or right border in the calendar to make it span multiple days.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for trying VueMinder Calendar Pro!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Dan-
Okay, I had stretched the main window all the way down to the bottom of my screen. THAT was where "Lists" was. Just for the heck of it, I dragged it up to the top next to Day and Week, and it stuck. I discovered earlier that those can be moved around. So back in business, I found it.

Oh, it would be GREAT if Notes and/or Tasks could have different shaped boxes than Events. And be moveable via drag/drop anywhere on that day's entries that you want. The only way I can get a notational entry to fall where I want it is to assign it a bogus time. And what I don't like about Events in that regard or otherwise, is that the assigned time (e.g., "8:00AM") takes up a lot of the very minimal room in the event's box. Obviously there are times when you want to see that time on your month's layout, but if there were some way to have an entry where you want it, with no time given (drag/drop) that would be great.

Example:
First entry: 8:am - Meeting A (choose "Event" that shows the 8am time)
Next entry: (like a note to self) "If there's time, ABC shop opens at 9am!)
Next entry: 9:45am - Meeting B

And be able to slip the note-to-self in between those two meetings (or "events" in your speak). That way your day is chronologically shown with optional things in between two definite meetings (events). Or for some, like a note "If you can get Dave alone, check on blank.) Please consider that, I have a feeling other users would like to be able to have a chronological capability shown without booking an "event" (which shows the time) when there isn't any time involved.

Onward: What in the world is "Timeline"?? I can't find any documentation on it or even reference to it. When I click on it, it's not self explanatory. I'm personally only using Day, Week and now List since I have my whole month showing in the main screen. Is there a way to get rid of "Timeline" as a tab so I don't have to scroll through it at all (horizontally) when switching between Day and List?

Now this is a question you won't like. What does the free version lack that does NOT have to do with importing/exporting/sharing your personal calendar? It appears to me that you cannot print out calendar pages (daily, weekly or monthly layouts) which is enough right there to make me buy the thing. Also I want to be able to customize individual events without having a whole Priority template built. So for me, those two things are important. But I've told two friends about this calendaring system who'd likely use the Lite to start with. No one needs to share, import or export "other calendars" so I'm wondering what, other than those things above, the Lite version doesn't do.

Thanks.
C-1000

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:14 am

I may have found a workaround, but it's not consistent. On a task entry, I have a time entered (between two events) and it lands there, but doesn't show the time which is perfect. On another, set up the exact same way, it lands there, but does show the time, which eats up half the entry's title on the monthly calendar. Any clue what I may be doing differently on the latter one? The first one is just what I was hoping for.

Sorry for these interim notes, this is my day to familiarize with this calendar software so it is fully functional tomorrow when I won't have time to screw around with finding things. I'm not friends yet with your help files with any semblance of efficiency in finding things.
C-1000

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 am

I'm glad to hear you were able to find the List view and the movable tabs. The Window menu also has some preset window layouts, or you can save your own layouts and switch between them using shortcut keys. This is only a feature in the Pro version, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding drag-and-drop reordering of items. I've added this to my list of possible improvements to make in the future. In case you haven't discovered it yet, there is also a Description tab on the Event Editor window, where you can enter information specific to an event. You can also see that information when hovering the mouse over the event. I'm not sure if that helps, but it's something to consider.

The Timeline View is a horizontal representation of your schedule. It's kind of the same layout as TV Guide, where each calendar is a row and the timeslots are arranged as columns from left to right. You can adjust the timeslot length via the settings menu, accessed by clicking the "gear" button in the upper-right corner of the Timeline View. The help documentation doesn't mention this view because it was added in version 7.0 and I'm still working on updating the help documentation. I'm also working on making information easier to find in the help documentation. Like I said, this is a very large task, and it will take me a while to complete. In the meantime, there is a section in the blog that briefly describes the Timeline View:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=21&cntnt01origid=61&cntnt01returnid=61

I believe the behavior you're seeing with times being displayed, or not displayed, for tasks is due to the window size and the amount of space required for showing the time. For example, "1:00 PM" is not as wide as "12:00 PM". If the time requires too much space, it will be hidden so more of the event or task title will appear. If you make the Month view smaller, you'll see it reach a point where no times are displayed. If you can make it larger, it may also reach a point where times are displayed for every event or task. I'll see if I can add a new option to the Month View Settings menu to always show or hide times, instead of making them dynamically appear based on available space.

Regarding the differences between Lite and Pro, you are correct - the Lite version is itself very full-featured. However, the Pro version adds many additional features, such as the List View, improved printing capabilities, appearance themes, customizable colors for individual events, email/SMS reminders, meeting notices, calendar sharing over LAN, publishing calendars to the web, Outlook sync, import/export to Excel, full 2-way Google Calendar sync, customizable Window layouts, notes and tasks, reminder distribution lists, and a ton more. A detailed feature comparison can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page ... comparison

If the Lite versions is sufficient for your needs, that's fine with me. I offer the Lite version as a gesture of goodwill, and receive no income from it. It's my hope that Lite version users will try the Pro version and like all the additional stuff it adds, and then purchase it. That's how VueSoft is able to stay in business and continue offering the Lite version for free.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 am

I just tried resizing the monthly view window and you're right, it does depend on the size, except that I may have found a way to trick it (which I can't duplicate) because I made no time change and somehow got it to show the time or not. No sizing changes either. I will see if I can again stumble across that difference. I think it was set up as a task, not an event. However, ideally if you change ability to show time or not, it would be a choice that could be assigned (or not) to an entry, not an all or nothing universal preference. If I had my druthers, it would be events show times, tasks have the option (or don't show them but respect them in terms of where the entry can be set up to fall). In other words, where you could enter a time, so that's where the entry falls, but it doesn't show on the day's schedule and take up that valuable space.

Otherwise, as said, I'm going to buy the Pro version just for the few bells/whistles it offers in terms of printing and layout. The publishing/exporting/importing/sharing doesn't matter to me, the printing and layout flexibility does. Besides, we have to keep you fed so you don't float away, I like this program, at least so far. I've been setting things up, changing them, etc., and have gotten a couple of buggy error messages (pretty sure they're misc. bugs here and there, not real errors). Once I'm sure they don't escallate or repeat too often, I'll register it. Hopefully you take Paypal?

Otherwise, I sure like a lot about what I'm seeing. And it sure beats a bunch of physical notes cluttering up my desk and having to use erasers to change things. This is the first electronic calendar system I've tried, and so far it does a ton of what I'd hoped for. So you are to be praised.

I'll yelp if I get confused about anything else, thanks for your very prompt answers. Please let me know about the Paypal, I strongly prefer payment via their service.
Thanks,
Carol
C-1000

I found it.

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:47 am

We'll see if it continues to work this way. If so, I'm a happy camper.

To show a task on a day (in the monthly view) WITH the time listed in the box, create a task, assign a date and time to it, and be sure "has start time" box is checked. To show that same task WITHOUT the time taking up room (but have it fall in a relative time slot you want), use the time of the task to place it in between appointments, but then DEselect the box "has start time." The start time will disappear from the Task creation window, but the event will still fall into that time slot (without showing the time).

I hope that isn't a fluke.
Carol
C-1000

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi Carol. Are you using 7.1.0, which was just released yesterday? It fixed a number of error messages. To update, select the 'Check For Updates' command from the Help menu. If you're still seeing error messages, please send the details to support@vueminder.com, so I can fix the problems.

The behavior you're seeing regarding placement of the task, by unchecking its start time setting, might not persist if the program is restarted. I'm away from my computer so I can't confirm, but I think the positioning might get reset after a restart. If so, then I'll fix this for the next release, along with adding options to supress the displayed starting time for individual events and tasks. Thank you for the suggestion!

Regarding PayPal, this is one of several payment methods I accept. You can select PayPal as the payment method on the order form.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby C-1000 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Yup, I think it was a fluke that I got the time not to take up room on the entry itself, yet fall within the faked out time slot (assigned a time at all, only to place it where I wanted it). I really do want to see the time on actual appointments. But it really takes up precious space from those little entry titles if it's just a note to self, or a memo that there's going to be something going on that I need to be here for.

I THINK that I have the latest version. When I launched the calendar this morning it told me there was a new version, I clicked on the install, and it took me through the wizard, and in the process, asked me if I wanted to backup my current calendar data. Sounds like an update to me. Although I tried to find the actual version number (as in, hitting "Help" button which usually gives version number). I didn't see anything there regarding version at all. Sounds suspiciously like an update, lol.
C-1000

Next

Return to Technical Support