Recent Windows 10 Update Version 1803

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Recent Windows 10 Update Version 1803

Postby Brian P » Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 am

When Windows automatically update the Windows 10 recently it has effected Vueminder Ver 1800.01.
When trying to log in from a remote network computer Vueminder Ultimate prevents the calandar from openning and ask us for the MySQL 5.7 Root login .
How do I solve this?
Brian P

Re: Recent Windows 10 Update Version 1803

Postby VueSoft » Tue May 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi Brian, I'm not aware of anything coded in VueMinder which would result in VueMinder asking for the MySQL 5.7 root login. Could you send a screenshot of the window you're seeing to support@vueminder.com, so I can get a better understanding of what you're seeing? It's possible something else is causing that window to appear. Also, what happens when you open the Sharing Options and click the "Test Connection" button?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Brian P » Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Dan
See the attached shot. In the bottom righthand corner it tells me the Server is offline. Click to reconnect Then the Unable to Connect message pops up

The new Windows 10 is Version 1803.

I prevented Windows from updating to this version on 2 other of network machines and Vueminder does not have the same problem.
More on update 1803.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 956c4e4472

Q:Windows 10 Update 1803 kills network / client server operations
PLEASE read this ALL before responding. I took the time to research the problem and provide details.
I use the Advantage Database Server on a network. It worked perfectly until the 1803 update. Any computers with 1803 installed will not be able to access the ADS Client server.
I realize Microsoft made a lot of changes to networking, which, of course, are not documented, and thus we cannot trouble shoot the problem.
I have the problem on 3 computers: 1 uses Parallels with Win 10 Pro, another is a Dell Desktop from the Microsoft Store with Win 10 Pro, and the 3rd is a Surface Pro 4 ( with Win 10 Pro of course ). The problem exists on all computers.
I have reverted them all back to 1709 and they work perfectly.
PLEASE DO NOT tell me to install software from scratch. Frankly, that's a huge investment of time, and none of my clients will be willing to do that on their business computers. The problem exists in the 1803 update, and Microsoft OWNS IT ! So please, lets get some engineers on this problem who actually understand what changed, and how to fix it.
Also, please do not say we should go to the publisher of the other software. The fact is you also messed up Remote Desktop so again, lets take responsibility and get some skilled people involved with this.
If you notice attitude, yeah, it's present. I've spent a full day tracking this down, losing that productivity, and having some clients who also experienced this and are VERY frustrated with Microsoft.
At least provide instruction on how to freeze updates at 1709 for more than 30 days so we are not facing the prospect of having to waste more time rolling back until you get this fixed.

Kind regards.

Braam
Brian P

Postby Brian P » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi Dan, when I go into the sharing option and click on Test Contection it gives me the same message
Unable to connect
A problem occured while attempting to connect to the server. Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts
Brian P

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi Brian, I'm not sure why the update caused your connection to MySQL Server to stop working. I've attempted to replicate the problem on my network using computers that have been updated to the latest version of Windows, but everything appears to be working correctly for me. I don't have insight into what Microsoft developers actually changed in the update which would have affected your connectivity. It might be difficult for me to track down what is causing the problem, especially since I haven't been able to replicate it.

My best guess... the update might have changed the firewall settings on the computer where MySQL Server is running. Please make sure TCP communication on port 3306 isn't blocked. You can find more details here:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php#troubleshooting

Also... the MySQL Server instance might not be running for some reason. Did you install MySQL Notifier on the computer where MySQL Server was installed? If so, right-click the MySQL Notifier icon in the notification area and make sure it says the server is running. If it's not running, select "Start" from the status submenu.

If none of that works, are you able to ping the computer where MySQL Server is running? Open a command prompt on one of the other computers and type "ping xxx", where xxx is the name of the computer running MySQL Server. If the ping fails, then it's either a firewall issue or something horribly screwed up in the Windows update which is beyond my ability to correct.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Brian P » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 am

No success with resolving this problem. Still does not work!
Brian P

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 am

Hi Brian, thank you for the information. VueMinder uses components of the .NET Framework (specifically, in the System.Security.Cryptography assembly) to securely encrypt and decrypt the database password. It’s possible a Windows update made some changes to how Windows does cryptography, but I don’t have enough insight into what Microsoft does to know if that’s the case. You might be able to fix the problem by installing the very latest .NET Framework. You can download it from the page linked below. Make sure to reboot after installing:
https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/ ... rk-runtime

If you still see the problem after installing the latest .NET Framework, there could be a problem with how VueMinder is getting the system key, which is one of the components used for encrypting the password. Please run regedit and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VueSoft\VueMinder. Is there a value for “Data4”? If it’s blank, that would indicate something changed in Windows which is preventing VueMinder from accessing the system key and properly encrypting the database password.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Brian P » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:58 am

Feedback on the issues we were having. Seems most of the issues were in actual fact with our network and connectivity to our vueminder server that was temporarily lost
Brian P

Return to Technical Support