catagories screwed up

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

catagories screwed up

Postby Aubint » Wed May 09, 2018 11:55 am

So today I notices all of my category colors were mostly blanked out . I went into categories thinkin to myself why should I have to redo all of my tasks colors. When I opened it up I swear there is almost 200 HTML type lines a category. There is UID, Color #...that type of script each different for each category. I tried to restore from my back up. No such luck and I think it even doubled them when I did that. Do you know what is happening here? I have the Pro Version. I cant sit here for 4 hours deleting each one... help please. Thanks in Advance, Tammy :evil:
Aubint That's Me :)
Aubint

Re: catagories screwed up

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 10, 2018 12:01 am

Hi Tammy, I apologize for the problem. It sounds like the file became corrupted. Do you sync with MySQL Server? It's possible the corrupted categories were synced with MySQL Server, which is why restoring from a backup didn't fix the error. If that sounds like what happened, please let me know and I'll send additional instructions for fixing the problem (it will involve running MySQL Workbench and deleting a table in the database).
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Aubint » Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 pm

I am sorry but I do not know what MySQL Server is. The Only server I use is Cogeco (my internet server). I use google to sync my calendar. And sometimes outlook. Can you help me out with more? It's really aggravating me. What a pain to have to redo all of my categories. Thanky you in advance, Tammy
Aubint

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi Tammy, have you made any changes since the problem occurred? If not, you can restore to an earlier backup without losing any other data. To restore, click the "File -> Restore Data" menu command.

If you have changes that were made after the category problem occurred, and you don't want to lose those changes, you can recover the categories but it's a bit more involved. Here's how:

1. In File Explorer, open the folder where VueMinder is configured to save backup files. The path can be found at the top of the "Backup Data" window, accessed from the File menu in VueMinder.

2. In a separate File Explorer window, open the folder where VueMinder is configured to save its data. You can find the path in the Program Options, accessed from the Options menu.

3. Exit VueMinder using the "File -> Exit" menu command.

4. Make a copy of the most recent backup file that was created before the problem occurred.

5. Change the file extension of the copied backup file from .vbackup to .zip.

6. Extract the zip file. It will contain a file named "categories.xml".

7. Copy the categories.xml file to the data folder that was opened in step 2.

8. Restart VueMinder. Your previous categories should appear.

If these steps are too difficult to follow, please send your backup file to support@vueminder.com. I'll extract the categories.xml file for you and send it back.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Aubint » Sun May 13, 2018 11:48 pm

2018-05-14.png
2018-05-14.png (290.51 KiB) Viewed 5165 times

I had to go further into all my back ups and I finally found one that worked (with a few appointments not there.. that's ok). Thank you for your help and really appreciate you responding so quickly.
Also with my back ups now will t his happen again and why do you think this happened. I will show you a screen shot of my categories and take in mind there was like 300 of them and all my tasks ended up with same color....
Tammy
Aubint

Postby Aubint » Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 am

How do I delete any categories. I'm having a hard time editing one and says I already have one the name should be unique. So I tried to delete it because I couldn't edit it and said same.
Looking for information to edit categories by changing name and how to delete if I just want to get rid of one.
Thanks in advance,
Tammy
Aubint

Postby VueSoft » Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi Aubint, I'm not sure why you're unable to delete categories. Try clicking the "Categories" tab (to the right of the "Calendars" tab) in the panel where your calendars are listed on the main window. You can select multiple categories by holding the Ctrl or Shift keys while clicking. After selecting the calendars you'd like to delete, press the Delete key. It should just work...
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support