Sluggish Interface

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Sluggish Interface

Postby allenk23 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Dan,

I have VueMinder Pro consisting of several calendars (11) with a likely total of a couple thousand of events. I do not create tasks or notes. Lately, the interface has become extremely sluggish. I view almost exclusively in Month view. Clicking on a day of the month take 10-20+ seconds to activate the day. Clicking or double-clicking an event takes equally long to select or open. Scrolling using the vertical scrollbar or mouse wheel take a long time to respond. Menus, on the other hand, are very responsive.

Archiving events older than X days is not a good solution, since many events are recurring. I tried yet saw no appreciable difference. I have tried changing the theme but that has no effect. I've tried several other changes in the program.

This is a fairly new "gaming" laptop and while I do no gaming at all, it has lots of RAM, power, speed. The VueMinder folder at ...appdata\local\VueSoft\VueMinder... sits on a solid state drive. The backups are about 1.8 GB each. The VueMinder folder itself is 56 MB.

Is there any kind of optimize or compress function that might help cleanup the overall calendar to restore some pep that I experienced until recently? Otherwise, what kinds of things can I look at that might cause this sluggishness.

Thanks,
Allen K.
allenk23

Re: Sluggish Interface

Postby allenk23 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi again Dan,

Disregard. Problem solved. I still would like to know if there is a way to optimize and/or compress the data in VueMinder Pro.

Anyway, I continued searching for what was making VueMinder so very sluggish. Again, I have 11 or so calendars. I view in Month view almost all the time. So I turned off every single calendar, viewing just the calendar structure without any events. Lightning fast. I then decided to turn on 1 calendar at a time. The very first calendar, called Holidays, may things again extremely slow. I turned that off, super fast. Scrolling, selecting days, everything. I then turned on each remaining calendar and all responded super fast. I turned on every calendar at once, except Holidays. All super fast.

I realized that for some Holiday-type events, I had small pictures set in Appearance. You know, Christmas-like image for Christmas Day, and so on. I was going to remove each image, but since things were so slow, it was taking a long time. So I exported to Excel 2016 all Calendar events from long in the past to far in the future. I deleted the Holidays calendar. Recreated a new Holidays calendar, imported my events. Bingo. All is now fast just like before.

Not sure if the pix were causing the problem -- they were small jpg's, I think -- or if something in the calendar had become corrupt. That calendar was one of the smallest I had in terms of the number of events.

Anyway, all is well and I'm back to loving VueMinder again!

Thanks,
Allen
allenk23

Postby VueSoft » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 am

Hi Allen, thanks for the information. VueMinder caches the images, so I'm not sure what would have caused the slowdown. I'll investigate further.

As for optimizing/compressing the data, currently the only mechanism to do this is by using the "File -> Archive Old Events" menu command. As you noted, this can't archive recurring events that continue past the cutoff date.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby allenk23 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Dan, sorry I didn't reply right away. Understood about images being cached. Again, I started to remove them one-by-one. Only had about 6-8 days of the year with images (Christmas, Thanksgiving, couple of birthdays, etc.). But it was taking so very long, I took the easy way out and exported all the events for the single calendar, deleted the calendar entirely, the added a new calendar, finally imported the events. Very fast now. If it was not anything having to do with the images, then I'd guess it was something with the calendar or certain events. Good news is that all is fine again.

I am tempted to add back some images to see what happens.

Thanks,
Allen
allenk23

Return to Technical Support