Limit on number of displayed events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Limit on number of displayed events

Postby Squidward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Is there a limit on the number of events that will be displayed when you select a day from the calendar? All the events aren't there, but they are in the Event List.
Squidward

Re: Limit on number of displayed events

Postby VueSoft » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm

If you're referring to the Month view, it depends on how much space is available. If there are more events than there is room to fit, you'll see a little gray downward-pointing arrow at the bottom of the day. This indicates there are additional events. If you click the arrow, you'll be take to the Day view where you should see all the events listed.

There are a number of things you can do to increase the amount of space for events in the Month view.
- Turn off the status bar (from the View menu).
- Turn off the toolbars (right-click the toolbars and uncheck them).
- Turn off the Event List, set it to auto-hide, or move it to be on the side of the window instead of at the top.
- Decrease the font size for the calendar.

This is another area being improved in version 7. When you hover the cursor over a date in the Navigation Pane, you'll get a complete list of all events/tasks/notes for that day. There will also be a "maximize" button to make the Month view fill the whole calendar view area (so more events will fit), and a "restore" button to return to the previous window layout.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:00 am

Actually, I was referring to the day view. It appears to be limited to 16. I have a least one day with 20 events listed (I know that's a lot), but I only see 16 in the day view. And there may be more days like it. The Event Pane shows them all.

Just on a side note, not a big deal, it seems you might not see the little arrow indicating there are more events depending on the theme. In my case, using Old School, I see an arrow only on the bottom row (4th week in my case). Maybe some themes can't display it? Of course, I did discover simply clicking on the day's date brought up the same day view.
Squidward

Postby VueSoft » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

I think I understand what is happening. Originally, I thought you were creating events that were not all-day (in other words, they had starting and ending times and would be displayed within the corresponding timeslots of the day). If you have more than 16 all-day events on the same day, they won't all fit in the all-day event area at the top of the Day view. The all-day event box will automatically grow, but only up to the extent where 16 all-day events can appear.

There are a couple ways to work around this. The first would be to use the Event List to see the additional events. Another would be to use the filtering capabilities of the software, if you have a mix of all-day events that belong to different calendars, categories, priorities, etc. The checkboxes in the Calendar Items area of the window allow you to selectively hide events, making room for other non-filtered events to appear in the all-day event area.

If you know the starting and ending times of the events, you could uncheck the all-day box. There is no limit to how many non all-day events can appear in the Day view. The 16 event limit is only for all-day events.

As for the downward pointing arrow in the Month view, some appearance themes don't display the downward pointing arrow, or display a different graphic to indicate additional events are present.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks Dan. I understand what you're saying. The distinction between all-day and events with scheduled times hadn't occured to me as being an issue. These events do have start times, but that info is not included in the basic event info that I first loaded into Excel, modified, then imported into Calendar. In fact, the reason I was so interested in the hyperlinks was to be able to go back to the AVA website from an event to get that additional detail. I'm not sure how many weekends would exceed the 16 limit, but I am curious now to see how I can manipulate them in some way as you suggest, different categories, etc. For example, I'm in VA, the events closest to me could be given a higher priority. Just not sure how much effort is necessary to do that for the benefit I might get. I'll be playing with it, for sure. Thanks again for your help.
Squidward

Postby Squidward » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Dan. Just a follow-up on this. Is there an option now for the calendar to display the total number of events in a day? I could always assume if there are 16 that there might be more and go look at the event pane, so not a problem, but curious if there is someplace where that number is currently shown or can be turned on. Thanks.
Squidward

Postby VueSoft » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Unfortunately, there's currently no option to control how many all-day events can be displayed in the same day.

If you know the event times and can get these into the spreadsheet you originally imported, you can re-import the events as non all-day events. To specify the event times, just add a space after the date and then enter times for values in the "Start" and "End" columns of the spreadsheet. Example: "3/30/2010 5:00 PM".
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

I was really just wondering if there is a count of events given somewhere, or could be gotten. Click on a day and have it tell me there are 25 events that day, for example.
Squidward

Postby VueSoft » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm

This is something I've added for the next release (7.0). When hovering the mouse cursor over a date in the Navigation Pane or Year View, a popup balloon will show the total number of events, tasks, and notes for that date. It will also list the items, sorted by starting time. All-day events will be listed at the top.

Here's an example. Note, the actual event names will be shown in the popup. I named the events "All Day Event N" and "Event N" because I wasn't feeling creative enough to think of 40 different example event names. The format of each event will be "(Time) Event's Title - Event's Calendar".

Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:12 pm

That's excellent. Quick and easy view of the total number of events and what they are. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

However, I am a bit disappointed you didn't come up with 40 unique names. :o
Squidward

Return to Technical Support