Hyperlinks

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Hyperlinks

Postby Squidward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Is it possible to add hyperlinks into the details of an event, or in the description field? I have a large number of events loaded into Calendar that come from a website where these events contain much more detail about them. I would have to manually add that detail to each Calendar entry (unless I can figure something else out). What I loaded into Calendar is simply that there is an event, but nothing else. However, being able to link from the calendar entry back to the website would be great. Thanks.
Squidward

Re: Hyperlinks

Postby VueSoft » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes, you can add hyperlinks to both web pages and files. On the Description tab of the Event Editor, highlight the text you'd like to make into a link, and then click the toolbar button. A link will be added to the description. To follow the link from within the Event Editor window, Ctrl+click the link. You can also follow the link by clicking it from the Details pane. Even better, if you have the popup reminder configured to show the event description, you can click the link from the popup reminder window. This is something I use all the time. There's also no limit to the number of links that can be added to the event description.

Attachments
Adding Hyperlinks to Event Description.png
The event description can have links to web pages or local files.
Adding Hyperlinks to Event Description.png (63.22 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks. I will give it a try.

BTW, I may be using the wrong terms, but with this question, and some others, I've attempted to find references to them in the documentation. For example, searching for hyperlink, web, url, all turned up nothing. Is there a better way to do that?
Squidward

Postby Squidward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

I found that when editing an existing event you have to change the description to Formatted Text to get to the option to create a link. Now to complicate it. I loaded a large amount of data all at once, 615 events in total. That came from an Excel spreadsheet. Is it possible to have Calendar automatically create a link if it sees a URL, "http://," in the description?
Squidward

Postby VueSoft » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I think the Google Site Search of the online help documentation was broken. For example, searching for "event" found nothing. There must be more than a thousand references to that word throughout the help documentation. It turns out the search was pointing to an old domain, and not the current domain, so none of the help pages were being found. This has been corrected.

Also, I'm in the process of updating the help documentation to make it current as of version 7.0 (a HUGE task). The documentation search will be integrated with searching for the rest of the site - instead of using Google Site Search. I doubt I'll have this completed before the planned release date of version 7.0, but it's in work.

As for automatically creating links when URLs are detected in the Excel import, this is something I'll add to my list of future enhancements. Thank you for the suggestion.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks Dan for considering this for future releases.

I know what you mean about the documentation. It is a lot of work.
Squidward

Postby Squidward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Dan,
I can get the link to work from within the editor using CTRL+Click, but it isn't working when I click on the link from within the Details pane.
Squidward

Postby VueSoft » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Hmmm, that's odd. The Details pane is actually a mini web browser, and the event details are just temporary HTML pages (created on your local computer). I would think that links should work from within the Details pane. What happens when you click a link in the Details pane? Does it try opening the link in your default web browser (it should), or does nothing happen? Do you have a default web browser configured? Maybe you have an antivirus program that is blocking the link from being processed? I'm not sure what else could explain it.
:?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Squidward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Dan,
If I click it, double click, CTRL+Click it does nothing. I also tried it with my anti-virus turned off.

If I click on the event title in the detail pane, which brings up the editor, the link works in the editor using CTRL+Click. If I bring up the event editor without going through the detail pane first (don't know if there is any difference, but just so you know what I've done) the CTRL+Click works. Both work with anti-virus on.

Thanks

This what I see if I look at the properties of the link in the detail pane:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/George/Local%

It is supposed to be an asp link called www.ava.org/ava_search.asp
Squidward

Postby VueSoft » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Could you post (or email to support@vuesoftsite.com) the raw text of the event description? This would be on the "Plain Text" tab of the description editor, and might give me some clues as to what's wrong with the link.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Technical Support