Does the sms reminder work outside the US?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Does the sms reminder work outside the US?

Postby mickley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Im in the U.K. and I have been using the lite version for some time. I decided to try the pro because of the sms reminder feature. However, during setup, i cannot input my phone number, which is a british number.
Is this because the feature is not supported in the U.K.? I have tried every way of inputing the number. And if it is supported, does anyone know how much this costs (if at all?)
Regards and thanks
mickley

Re: Does the sms reminder work outside the US?

Postby VueSoft » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi mickley, welcome to the forums.

The SMS reminder feature works in any country where the mobile carriers offer an email-to-SMS gateway. That's the norm in the United States. I know there are some countries where the mobile carriers don't provide this service, or charge extra for it. In the UK, O2 provides an email-to-SMS gateway, but you need to send an SMS saying "ON" to phone number "212" before it will work. I'm not sure about Vodafone and Orange.

You should be able to enter a UK phone number (i.e., starting with +44). Are you getting some type of error message when trying this?

As for the cost, it depends on your mobile carrier and data plan. An SMS reminder is treated just like any other SMS message, so whatever you normally pay for an SMS would be the same when receiving an SMS from VueMinder. There are no additional fees from VueSoft for using this feature.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby ipbr21054 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:53 pm

I use the tesco sim card which uses the O2 network but when i send a text saying ON to 212 it shows error each time.
I have selected O2 for the mobile carrier.
I have entered my number starting with +44 then omitting the o before i type the rest of the number.
I have put my email address into the send to box of which i receive a test email from vuesoft saying Congratulations! VueMinder is properly configured for sending reminders to your cell phone,but nothing is sent to the phone.
ipbr21054

Postby VueSoft » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm not sure why you're getting an error when sendin ON to 212. It's possible O2 has changed the method for enabling the email-to-SMS gateway, or no longer offers this feature. The information I had was from last summer. Have you tried contacting O2 to see if they still provide this service?

I have put my email address into the send to box of which i receive a test email from vuesoft saying Congratulations! VueMinder is properly configured for sending reminders to your cell phone,but nothing is sent to the phone.

This might also be the problem. If I read this correctly, you entered your email address into the send-to box, instead of using the value VueMinder Calendar generates when selecting O2 UK from the list of mobile carriers. That would explain why you're getting the test message in your email, and not your phone. Could you try selecting O2 from the list of carriers, and see if that fixes it? The +44 prefix can be left out, since it will be automatically added to the generated send-to address.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you're still unable to get SMS reminders.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby ipbr21054 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 am

Hi
I have selected O2 uk from the list and 44@mmail.co.uk is put into the send box automatically.
I then enter my phone number without using the 0 at the begining into phone number box.
Now in the send to box is my phone number without the 0 at the begining followed by 44@mmail.co.uk
When i send a test message i do not receive anything
ipbr21054

Postby VueSoft » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Hmmm, are you saying the 44 is getting added to the end of your phone number (not the beginning) in the send-to box? That might be the problem. Could you try moving the 44 to the front, or try a couple variations to see if any of them will work? Also, have you had any luck contacting O2 to see if they still support this?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby ipbr21054 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 am

No the 44 is at the front like so 44??????????@mmail.co.uk
In uk we have tesco mobile which uses the o2 network.
As there is no tesco mobile in your list i have selected the o2 network.
This might be the problem ?
Just wondering if anyone else on here using the software is on the tesco mobile network and have they get it working.
I phoned o2 but they would not tell me anything as i was not a customer of o2 ?
I did call tesco but the person on the end of the phone did not understand what i was talking about.
ipbr21054

Return to Technical Support