Syncing Custom Event Fields with Google Calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Syncing Custom Event Fields with Google Calendar

Postby Dbesley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 am

Hi team,

I have multiple Google calendars and three VueMinder Ultimate licences that sync up with these.

I have added Custom Event Fields to the calendars from one of the running VueMinder apps. This works successfully.

The manual says "Custom data can be imported/exported, published/subscribed, synced with other VueMinder installations through Google Calendar, and.."

I was unsure of this because I thought custom fields would be local to an installation, but the manual suggests not and perhaps they are part of the Google API function? (that's actually a question :-) ).

In my case, the customer fields are not being passed to the other VueMinder installations in the sync (which is what I want).

Anyone help here?

Thanks and Regards
DeanB

PS love this product :-)
Dbesley

Re: Syncing Custom Event Fields with Google Calendar

Postby VueSoft » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi DeanB, welcome to the forums. Custom fields can be shared with other VueMinder installations, but not by syncing with Google Calendar alone. Basically, you'd need to install MySQL Server on one of your connected computers and then configure each VueMinder installation to connect to MySQL Server for sharing custom field definitions. instructions can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

You don't need to configure your existing calendars to be shared through MySQL Server. You can continue syncing the calendars through Google Calendar. The only thing MySQL Server would be used for is syncing the custom field definitions. You should then see the same custom data on your other VueMinder installations.

Another (low tech) option would be to open the VueMinder data folder (the location can be found in the Program Options) on the computer where the correct custom fields are displayed. Within that folder, there's a file named "CustomFields.bin". Copy that file to the data folder on your other VueMinder installations, replacing the existing file. Make sure to exit VueMinder prior to copying the file. When you restart VueMinder, you should see the same custom field definitions and custom data within events. However, if you create any new custom field definitions (via the Tools menu), you won't see the new fields on your other computers. You'd need to re-copy the file. Going through MySQL Server is the preferred approach.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support