Custom Event Field won't allow me to enter data (sometimes)

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Custom Event Field won't allow me to enter data (sometimes)

Postby A Room with a Vue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am

I have tried creating several custom Event fields for a subscribed calendar, but after creating a field (and entering data for the current event) I'm normally prohibited from subsequent editing (or entering new) data into that field.

There is a consistent (but kludgy) work-around: If I enter the Custom Fields editing screen and create another custom field or delete an existing one (it doesn't even have to be an Event Field), and then click on Save & Close, I can then immediately edit either custom Event field (the original, or one I just created) for an event. But the next time I try to edit these fields (on the same event or a different one), the field is grayed-out and clicking on the field results in no response. This happens regardless of the field type chosen for the custom Event Field.

I've deleted and then re-created the custom Event Field more than once, yet the erratic behavior remains. Since this is a subscribed calendar, I initially thought that maybe even custom fields weren't editable when subscribing. But if I follow the above work-around, I can enter or edit information into the custom fields (but not the standard ones, which makes sense) so I can edit the custom fields, it just takes some annoying extra steps to do so.

I hope that this is a bug, and that once fixed I will be allowed to easily edit custom fields even for a subscribed calendar. Since these custom fields don't exist in the source calendar (and therefore couldn't be synched anyway), it doesn't seem like there should be a problem having them (and having them allows for some very useful "offsite" VueMinder-specific annotations).

Is this a bug or (more hopefully) am I missing a step/setting that would allow me to easily edit the data within a custom Event Field?
========================================================
CURRENT CONFIG: VueMinder Ultimate 2017.04, Windows 7 Pro / 64
A Room with a Vue = ARWAV (easier to type!) :-D
A Room with a Vue

Re: Custom Event Field won't allow me to enter data (sometim

Postby VueSoft » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:56 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Currently, the only data that is supposed to be able to be modified in a subscribed event is on the Reminder and Appearance tabs. Everything else in the Event Editor is supposed to be read-only.

However, I agree allowing the custom fields to be edited would be safe, since that data can't be overwritten outside of VueMinder and won't get lost when the calendar syncs.

I'll fix this and I'll post a reply when an update is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Version 2017.04 of adds the ability to define and edit custom data for events that are in a subscribed calendar (when using the Ultimate version only). To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby A Room with a Vue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Wow, thanks for the very quick fix/update! This is a really useful feature, since it allows me to add notes that only I can see to an event on a shared calendar.

This actually leads me to make a related suggestion (I'll put it here, but if you think I should enter it into the suggestion section, let me know):

Allow the user to create "one-way" custom event fields (fields and their content that don't get shared with the online version of a calendar, even if the calendar has 2-way syncing enabled). That way the user can add notes to an event that are visible only from VueMinder and are not shared with the online copy (useful for people who manage calendars that are used by others).
CURRENT CONFIG: VueMinder Ultimate 2017.04, Windows 7 Pro / 64
A Room with a Vue = ARWAV (easier to type!) :-D
A Room with a Vue

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Thank you for the feedback. When a calendar is published (or synced 2-way with an iCalendar file/URL), the custom data is saved to an extension property that only VueMinder understands. Other calendar applications will ignore the property and won't show the custom values that were entered in VueMinder. Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support