USB versus Pro

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

USB versus Pro

Postby MobyUK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 am

Hi. I have Vueminder Pro and USB and have been using the USB version for a while so I can sync between PCs. I've been using it on Onedrive which has it's own problems with sync speed and I was thinking of putting it all on Dropbox instead.
However, having looked at a number of posts online, I've been wondering whether I'd be better reverting to Pro installed on all PCs and using calendar sharing using Dropbox.
Slightly confused so some pointers would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mo
MobyUK

Re: USB versus Pro

Postby VueSoft » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Mo, the USB version can run directly from a Dopbox folder. However, you'd only be able to run from one computer at a time. Otherwise, changes made on one computer could overwrite changes made on another. Also, if you're experiencing slow Dropbox sync times, running the USB version directly from a Dropbox folder probably won't help.

If you'd like to run VueMinder simultaneously from any number of computers, and instantly sync changes, then I'd recommend scrapping the use of Dropbox and configure VueMinder to share data over your local network through MySQL Server instead. Instructions can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

If your computers aren't all connected to the same local network, you could sync VueMinder through Google Calendar or Microsoft Exchange.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby MobyUK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:35 am

Hi Dan. Thanks for the quick reply.
Sorry if I appear dense :lol: but I don't understand why I couldn't run VM Pro, or VM USB come to that, on two pcs but have just the calendars and backup location on Dropbox.
It is only me using the pcs so there would never be a case of simultaneous modificaton of calendars.

Or am I missing something?
MobyUK

Postby VueSoft » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Mo, you could run the non-USB version and configure the "Data folder" location (in the Program Options) to point to a folder on Dropbox. That would work just was well as running one copy of the USB version directly from the Dropbox folder.

The benefit of the USB version is that it doesn't need to be installed. Some people don't have local admin rights on every computer they use. It can also run directly from a Dropbox folder so there's no need to mess with changing the program options or data folder location.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support