Can't send test email

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Can't send test email

Postby joneal204 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:23 pm

All settings seem to be correct but the test email still fails.
joneal204

Re: Can't send test email

Postby VueSoft » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Hello, welcome to the forums. Do you possibly have a firewall or antivirus program that is blocking VueMinder from sending email?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Created Visions » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I have experienced the same problem and was just about ready to give up on VueMinder until I read the suggestion that it might be a firewall or anti-virus issue. I am runnng Norton Internet Security and have discovered that indeed turning OFF the network setting "Email Anti Virus Scan" protection allows the test message to come through. Unfortunately as far as using VueMinder goes, I'm not willing to turn off this protection.
Attachments
NortonInternetSecurityScreenCopy.jpg
NortonInternetSecurityScreenCopy.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
Created Visions

Postby VueSoft » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Yes, some anti-virus programs can wreak havoc with software that sends email. It's hard for the anti-virus programs to know the difference between a real worm that is sending email, and a legitimate program. Many anti-virus programs err on the side of caution, which is what you're seeing. However, I believe you can leave the Email Antivirus Scan setting enabled, and then click the Configure link/button to tweak the settings so that outgoing email from VueMinder Calendar isn't blocked.

I'm not sure how much control Norton Internet Security gives over its settings. Some anti-virus programs allow you to specify certain executables that should be allowed to send email. If you can't find anything like that in Norton, try disabling just the scanning of outgoing email (it should be somewhere under the Configure window), to see if that helps. You might also check with Norton's tech support to see if there's a way to allow a program to send email, without disabling any of Norton's scanning features. Of course, all email sent from VueMinder Calendar is virus-free, so I don't know why Norton is blocking it to begin with, but I guess that would be a separate question for Norton.

I'd appreciate if you could let me know what you find. I'd like to add something to the FAQ to cover this, since it would be a shame if other people give up on VueMinder Calendar because they don't think it can send email, when it's actually their anti-virus program causing all the issues.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Created Visions » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:18 am

At least in my case, you were correct when you suggested that I could "leave the Email Antivirus Scan setting enabled, and then click the Configure link/button to tweak the settings so that outgoing email from VueMinder Calendar isn't blocked". When I do this the email reminders are received. Thanks for your prompt assistance and suggestions.
Attachments
NISScreenCopy_2.jpg
NISScreenCopy_2.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
Created Visions

Return to Technical Support