Calendar permissions question

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Calendar permissions question

Postby warner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:31 pm

I have been testing VueMinder for the last few days and I have 3 questions. Firstly, is there any way to set the permissions/password on a calendar that will be uploaded to the network? The file would be in a public location and I want it to only be available to specific users.

Secondly, I want the file to be read only. I realise that providing the lite addition to users would do this, but it wouldn't be difficult for someone to download the trial pro version and change the calendar.

Finally, I want to know if there is any way to print a summary of an event including the description.

Thank you for your help,

Alex Warner.
warner

Re: Calendar permissions question

Postby warner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm

I have answered my third question. Printing specific events is under print, printer style and then either details or memo.
warner

Postby VueSoft » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi warner, welcome to the forums.

Calendar sharing permissions are being added to the next release (version 7.0.0). A new 'Sharing' tab is being added to the Calendar Properties window, where calendar permissions can be specified for all everyone, or customized for certain users. For example, if you want to restrict access to a shared calendar so only certain users can see it, you'd set the 'Everyone' permission to 'No Access' and then add access for the specific users you'd want to be able to read or modify the calendar. The opposite could also be done, where you'd allow everyone to have access using 'Reader' or 'Contributor', but restrict certain users from seeing the calendar by using the 'No Access' permission setting.

In the example screenshot linked below, my shared calendar would only be visible (as read-only) to a user named 'Warner'. If I wanted the user to be able to modify the calendar, I could use the sharing proprerty of 'Contributor' instead of 'Reader'. There are no passwords or other setup steps involved, since the Windows user login authentication handles all of that.

preview4.png
The Calendar Properties window is being improved in Version 7.0 to allow specification of calendar sharing permissions.
preview4.png (45.17 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

The next version is still in work. I expect it will be released by the end of March. In the meantime, it's possible you could use the file sharing settings built into Windows to restrict access to the shared calendar file. Right-click the file (or the folder containing the file) in Windows Explorer, select 'Sharing', and adjust the settings as needed to restrict access to the users you'd want to share the calendar with.

Regarding printing, I'm glad you were able to find the answer to your question. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby warner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Wow...it took less than 3 hours to get a response. That is outstanding. I will look forward to the 7.0.0 release.

Thank you for your support, you have just made choosing the calendar to use a lot easier.
warner

Return to Technical Support