Contacts sync question

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Contacts sync question

Postby larryw » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:21 pm

I imported a Google CSV into Contacts but initially decided to not sync.

I just changed the option after making couple changes to a contact and then sync'd with Google. That part went fine.

I have an iphone and use an app to sync my contacts to my phone. I set it to display changes before syncing. When I did that it showed all my contacts were going to be changed on my phone because "Social media had changed" in Gmail.

I don't see any Social media settings in Gmail so I am wondering what VueMinder Pro may have changed behind the scenes in Gmail when it sync'd that would cause the other app to display that change.

I have emailed the developer of the app for clarification too.

I've decided to not do any more syncing to be on the safe side.
larryw

Re: Contacts sync question

Postby VueSoft » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi larryw, when VueMinder initially syncs with Google Contacts, some of the data fields that are present in VueMinder (such as "File As" and "Spouse Name") are added as custom fields to the contacts in Google. This ensures that any changes to those fields are properly synced to VueMinder on other computers. This shouldn't affect other apps because these are custom fields that are only used by VueMinder, but other apps might detect that something has changed in a contact.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Contacts sync question

Postby larryw » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:04 am

Thank you Dan. That confirms what I just discovered.

VueMinder did add a "File As" field to my Google Contacts and I think that's what the iPhone app is detecting as "Social media". I did sync 2 of the contacts and the field "File As" is added to my iPhone contacts for both of them.

Not surprising based on what you say, another program I sync on my Windows computer did not add the custom field "File As" since it only syncs Google "default" fields.
larryw

Return to Technical Support