Syncing question

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Syncing question

Postby fifer43 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Is it possible to sync VueMinder Pro on two computers by syncing the C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder folder using a syncing program? I am aware of the usual syncing methods, and presently sync through Google calendar. However I would like to sync everything - colours, categories etc., and thought that if the program data file was identical on both computers, then VueMinder would be identical on both computers. Is my thinking correct or am I totally wrong?
fifer43

Re: Syncing question

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:24 am

Hi fifer43, what you describe is possible, but it's not what I would recommend. You could configure VueMinder on each computer to save its data to the same location on your network, in a shared folder, or cloud drive. All computers will show identical data. The data folder is specified in the Program Options.

The reason I don't recommend this approach is because you'd need to be careful that you only run VueMinder from one computer at a time. If you run simultaneously from multiple computers, and each computer is attempting to save changes to the same location, then changes you make on one computer will overwrite changes you make on another.

If you'd like to share the same data (including colors, categories, etc), and be able to access the data simultaneously from multiple computers, then see the page linked below for instructions:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby fifer43 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for your detailed response Dan.
I use VueMinder on a desktop and laptop; the laptop is usually used when I am away from home, so it would be very unusual to have both computers accessing VueMinder at the same time. When I am away from home, I would not be able to access my desktop on the same network. The method you describe seems quite complicated (at least to me!).
I use a program called GoodSync to sync various folders on my desktop with an internal storage drive, an external storage drive, and with my laptop. It has worked extremely well for me. What I envisioned was syncing the VueMinder data folder on both computers. I would use the desktop primarily at home, then sync the data folder to my laptop before leaving home. I would then use the laptop when I am away, and on returning, sync again before opening VueMinder on the desktop.
An alternative is to use Dropbox, which I use for Adobe Lightroom. Like VueMinder, it has a data file (catalog) that can be accessed from either desktop or laptop, but not at the same time. I use my desktop at home, and my laptop when I am away, and my catalog is always available on Dropbox.
Another thought that comes to mind is to keep the data folder on an external drive and carry that with me when I travel - then I can use it with either desktop or laptop. That way there is only one folder to worry about, and no syncing needed. I actually do that with my photos that Lightroom accesses and it works very well.
Your thoughts?
fifer43

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:41 am

Hi fifer43, I think any of the methods you mentioned should work. One other (simpler) option you might consider would be using the USB version. It can run directly from a USB stick or cloud drive (DropBox, OneDrive, etc). All the data is stored in the same folder as the USB version, so you wouldn't need to use any 3rd party software to sync the data folder.

VueMinder Pro USB can be purchased here:
http://sites.fastspring.com/vuesoft/pro ... erportable
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby fifer43 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks Dan. I am going to give one of my ideas a try.
fifer43

Postby User2050 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi, Dan.

I have Vue Pro. Google and Vue are syncing nicely. However, the categories (colours) I had created in Vue are not seen in Google, everything there is black and white.

I have read the procedures here: vueminder.com/sharing.php and wanted to ask if there is a simpler way to copy the categories to Google Calendar from Vue?

Thanks!
User2050

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Hi User2050, welcome to the forums. This instructions you read at http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php are for sharing category colors with other computers on your local network through MySQL Server, and not related to syncing with Google Calendar.

Unfortunately, Google Calendar does not provide a mechanism to color-code events based on category (or to even categorize events). You can manually assign colors to individual events, and those colors will sync between VueMinder and Google Calendar. However, the colors of the associated categories won't sync.

Please let me know if this is unclear or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby User2050 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks, Dan - appreciated.

What can one say except... Google sucks!

Just a quick additional question: If I already have events coloured with categories in Vue and I'm syncing that with Google (two-way) and then I manually add a colour to certain events in Google, will that sync back to Vue and mess up any of the original colours in Vue? Or will colours simply be separated (those you choose in Vue you see in Vue only , and those you pick in Google are visible in Google only)?

Thanks again.
User2050

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 am

Hi User2050, if you manually change the color of an event in Google, that color will also be used in VueMinder (regardless of the category color).
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby User2050 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Wow. Google double sucks. But what else is new? I'm glad I checked. Thanks!
User2050

Return to Technical Support