Play sound for each reminder?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Play sound for each reminder?

Postby Biff » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm

How can I make VueMinder play a sound for each reminder?
Windows 10 Home, 64bit
VueMinder Ultimate
Biff

Re: Play sound for each reminder?

Postby VueSoft » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Biff, welcome to the forums. You can assign a sound to a popup reminder via the "Content" tab in the reminder settings on the Event Editor. Check the "Play media" box and then pick a sound file (MP3, wav, wma, etc). See the user documentation linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... inder.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Biff » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:15 am

Hello Dan,

Thank you very much!

Ah, there it is, set very easily.

Is there a way to let the sounds sound only during a special time? So, no sounds at night e.g. from 12 p.m. to 9 O'clock a.m.?

Many thanks!

I have imported a calendar completely from Rainlendar and then activated to play a sound for reminders of this calendar but there is no sound played:
What have I missed?

And it appears that the reminders are not imported, there are no reminders popping up besides of two ones. Is there a way to import all of the reminders, respectively the setting to show the reminders?
Windows 10 Home, 64bit
VueMinder Ultimate
Biff

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi Biff, unfortunately there's no mechanism to suppress reminder sounds between certain hours. However, you could schedule when your reminders appear, to avoid having reminders play when you don't want. To change when a reminder is scheduled, open the Event Editor and select a value from the "Before event start" drop-down in the "When" area of the reminder settings.

Adjusting the default reminder settings will only affect new events, not events that were previously imported. Please try these steps:
1. Delete your previously imported calendar by right-clicking the calendar's name and selecting "Delete Calendar" from the popup.
2. Create a new (empty) calendar using the "File -> New -> Calendar" menu command.
3. Open the Calendar Properties and configure a default reminder with the desired settings.
4. Click the "File -> Import -> Import Events" menu command.
5. Select the option to import from an ICS file, click Next, and select your file.
6. Select the calendar you created in step 2 from the drop-down list.
7. Make sure the box labeled "Use destination calendar defaults" is checked.
8. Click Next to finish importing your calendar. All imported events should now have a reminder enabled. You might need to edit some of the events to prevent the reminders from appearing at times you don't want them to.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Biff » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:35 am

Hello Dan,

Many thanks!

To change when a reminder is scheduled, open the Event Editor and select a value from the "Before event start" drop-down in the "When" area of the reminder settings.

I would have to do it for each single event? Or is there a way to select all of the events and set their reminders to a desired time?

7. Make sure the box labeled "Use destination calendar defaults" is checked.

It was like that:
After confirming the window above this was shown:
Then this:

So it appears it has worked like it should but there are only two events that show a reminder at the moment although there are many more events with a reminder.
There are missing many reminders:

I can see when I look at several imported events the reminders are missing. So events having a reminder in Rainlendar do not have a reminder anymore after they are imported to VueMinder.

When I some time ago imported (about the same way like I just did) all of my events / dates from Lightning (Thunderbird) to Rainlendar all of the reminders worked / were imported. May be I am missing anything.

I have used the back up of the calendar to be imported Rainlendar automatically has created and the calendar (the back up Rainlendar has created from) used in Rainlendar.
Windows 10 Home, 64bit
VueMinder Ultimate
Biff

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi Biff,

I would have to do it for each single event? Or is there a way to select all of the events and set their reminders to a desired time?

You can adjust the reminder time in the default event settings, but it's just an offset from when each event starts. Unfortunately, if you want different reminders to be shown at different offsets, then you'd need to manually edit those events after importing.

I can see when I look at several imported events the reminders are missing. So events having a reminder in Rainlendar do not have a reminder anymore after they are imported to VueMinder.

Hmm, that's odd. If the reminder was in the ICS file it should have imported into VueMinder. The default reminder settings are used when a reminder hasn't been defined in the ICS file. You might be able to work around the problem by unchecking the "Import reminders and extended data" box on the import window. This should force the default reminder settings to be applied to all imported events.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Biff » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:45 am

Hello Dan!

Unfortunately, if you want different reminders to be shown at different offsets, then you'd need to manually edit those events after importing.

And when I want the same reminders I can do it in a few steps? Marking some events in "Events" does not seem to work.

You might be able to work around the problem by unchecking the "Import reminders and extended data" box on the import window.

That does not appear to work either. after the import there are only 20 reminders being set shown instead of about 400 or so.

In the import dialog are shown about 250 reminders are imported, but in "Events" are shown only 20 reminders:
What does that mean?

May be there is a issue in the ics file the data is exported to:

BEGIN:VALARM
ACTION:AUDIO
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:PT0S
X-RAINLENDAR-ALARM-TYPE:alert
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID:24a65cc8-0bbb-874a-b740-f86765444f64
SUMMARY:for this even the "Popup reminder" is not shown in the column in "Events"
CLASS:PRIVATE
DTSTAMP:20160419T152718Z
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;INTERVAL=3;BYDAY=MO
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20160711
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20160712
TRANSP:TRANSPARENT
LAST-MODIFIED:20160801T134541Z
DTSTAMP:20160630T123733Z
UID:5a2293d1-65fd-c040-b73e-358c2ec9cd25
SUMMARY:for this even the "Popup reminder" is not shown in the column in "Events"
DTSTART:20160712T073000Z
DTEND:20160712T090000Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20160716T083014Z
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-P5D
UID:1d29d7bd-b7d7-684b-9704-c339e70e0238
SUMMARY:for this even the "Popup reminder" is not shown in "Events"
DTSTAMP:20160622T090932Z
RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=2
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20160727
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20160728
LAST-MODIFIED:20160730T114022Z
UID:181fc5dd-7a25-194d-b469-82adb4160baf
SUMMARY:for this even the "Popup reminder" is working correctly
DTSTAMP:20160725T093646Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20160725T093646Z
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;INTERVAL=7
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20160801
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20160802
UID:442ef6d8-504c-1f46-9ee2-d50a6f40495d
SUMMARY:for this even the "Popup reminder" is not working
DTSTAMP:20160607T093931Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20160607T093931Z
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;INTERVAL=14
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20160808
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20160809
CREATED:20141112T031528Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20141112T031528Z
DTSTAMP:20141112T031528Z
UID:FT_2016_17@
SUMMARY:
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20160815
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20160816
URL:http://www.
DESCRIPTION:
UID:ecf82998-615e-5c48-b317-f02dede59da3
SUMMARY:for this even the "Popup reminder" is working correctly
DTSTAMP:20160606T100952Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20160606T100952Z
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;INTERVAL=7
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20161001
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20161002
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-P60D
Windows 10 Home, 64bit
VueMinder Ultimate
Biff

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi Biff, when importing from an ICS file, reminders will not be enabled on events that occurred more than 7 days in the past. The assumption (which I think makes sense...) is that you wouldn't want hundreds of reminders for events that already occurred to immediately pop up after importing.

If that doesn't explain the issue, could you email your ICS file to support@vueminder.com, so I can investigate the problem further? There could be something non-standard in the ICS file (such as the X-RAINLENDAR-ALARM-TYPE attribute) which isn't compatible.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Biff » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 am

Hello Dan!

Unfortunately, if you want different reminders to be shown at different offsets, then you'd need to manually edit those events after importing.

Is that correct:
And when I want the same reminders I can do it in a few steps? Marking some events in "Events" does not seem to work.

In the import dialog are shown about 250 reminders are imported, but in "Events" are shown only 20 reminders, what does that mean?

when importing from an ICS file, reminders will not be enabled on events that occurred more than 7 days in the past.

Yes, that is OK, but that wouldn't explain the missing reminders, I guess.

The assumption (which I think makes sense...) is that you wouldn't want hundreds of reminders for events that already occurred to immediately pop up after importing.

But better having that than the missing reminders. I could mark the reminders popping up and dismiss them (partially) or set a new reminder time, I assume.

If that doesn't explain the issue, could you email your ICS file to support@vueminder.com, so I can investigate the problem further? There could be something non-standard in the ICS file (such as the X-RAINLENDAR-ALARM-TYPE attribute) which isn't compatible.

Oops, I guess, that would be a bit...can you see anything of non-standard in the snippet besides of the X-RAINLENDAR-ALARM-TYPE attribute? Or anything malicious or so I could / should remove / replace?

So, the X-RAINLENDAR-ALARM-TYPE is not imported or not correctly imported?

Many thanks
Windows 10 Home, 64bit
VueMinder Ultimate
Biff

Postby VueSoft » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:23 pm

I don't see anything in the snippet which would explain the problem. There's nothing malicious there, and when I tested with the same VALARM section, it worked exactly as expected. If you could send me the ICS file, I should be able to easily determine exactly what is happening and why.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Technical Support