Desktop calendar bug?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Desktop calendar bug?

Postby Darwin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 am

I'm running v. 6.1 (licensed) under 64 bit WIn7 Ultimate. I have 512MB dedicated graphics memory and have Aero fully enabled. I have yet to see a pattern, but the desktop calendar becomes unresponsive to attempts to interact with it (eg. clicking on "Show calendar" or "Opacity" don't do anything). However, changes that I make to the calendar in the main VueMinder window ARE reflected on the desktop calendar.

The only solution is to shutdown VueMinder from the notification area icon and then start it again. I'll watch this closely to see if I can force this to happen (ie replicate it) and will post back here. For now, any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike
Darwin

Re: Desktop calendar bug?

Postby VueSoft » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for letting me know about the problem. This isn't something I've seen myself, so if you are able to make the problem repeat, please let me know what steps cause it to happen.

Do you have any other applications running on your desktop? The only thing I can think of that could cause the problem is if some other program is intercepting the mouse events (i.e., clicking) that would otherwise be going to the desktop calendar. If you have another desktop program running and the problem happens again, try closing those other program to see if it makes any difference.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Darwin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Hmm... hadn't considered those issues! I am running the Microsoft's weather gadget on my desktop AND I'm running a dual monitor configuration, with the VueMinder Desktop Calendar located on the second monitor. I wasn't running any third party applications to control the dual monitor setup at those times when this behaviour occurred (though I did have Acutal Windows Manager installed - it wasn't loaded into memory). At the moment, I am running UltraMon 3.08 beta and it and VueMinder seem to be getting along like houses on fire. The only other software that I have installed that might interrupt mouse events would be SpellCatcher Plus, but I think it's unlikely because SpellCatcher monitors keyboard input and offers to correct misspelled words. Other than these applications, I don't run/have anything installed that might be intercepting the mouse.

FWIW when the problem occurs, not only can I not interact with the desktop calendar via the mouse, but also things such as "Show calendar" that normally are highlighted in yellow when I hover the cursor over them (thereby letting me know that these are mouse selectable options) fail to highlight. Kind of the mouse equivalent of an option being greyed out...

Since my initial post, so far so good, and I've not really left my computer since then. I have to work this evening, but I'll try to force the behaviour to reappear.

Don't know if this is relevant, but I am running the Beta of Office 2010 Professional 64-bit.
Darwin

Postby Darwin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 am

Well... I just had this happen again, but I have no idea what happened! I was about to shut down my computer for the night and decided to click on the desktop calendar to see if it was still "active", and it wasn't. Here's an error message that I received immediately following clicking on the desktop calendar:

VueMinder Calendar 6.0.1 (Registered)

The 'EndDateTime' property cannot be set for an Appointment that is the RootAppointment of a recurrence.
Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinSchedule.v9.2
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinSchedule.Appointment.set_EndDateTime(DateTime value)
at Vuesoft.Applications.Vueminder.CalendarImportExport.CopyAppointment(Event evt, Appointment from, Appointment to)

The 'EndDateTime' property cannot be set for an Appointment that is the RootAppointment of a recurrence.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

I've just checked and note that synchronizing with Outlook is enabled and that it last synched around the time that I tried to click on the calendar. I'm leaving it as is for so that I can play with it in the future, learn from it, and report back here.

Hope this helps.
Darwin

Postby VueSoft » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks for the information. This is a problem I've corrected for the next release. I'll let you know when it's ready.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Darwin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 am

OK... This isn't the *only* time this happens (I don't think), but I've noticed that if I play StarCraft, which dates back to Win95, the behaviour with the Desktop Calendar being unresponsive occurs. Gven the circumstances, this probably isn't something that can be ironed out! I'll continue to monitor this, though, because I'm pretty sure that this has happened when I haven't played StarCraft.

I'll keep you posted.

PS Just to note, StarCraft requires 640x480 resolution.Windows 7 can switch screen resolutions on the fly. *This* switching back and forth between 640x480 and 1280x800 (on my notebook) is what I believe to be the source of the problem with VueMinder Desktop Calendar on my setup.
Darwin

Postby Darwin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 am

UPDATE: I can't replicate the StarCraft "bug" at all. I rebooted and tried this again and despite being able to consistently cause Desktop Calendar to stop responding to mouse clicks after having run StarCraft yesterday, after a reboot running StarCraft has no effect.

Back to square one...
Darwin

Postby Darwin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:50 am

Just an update:this behaviour is gone. My guess is that it was caused by a conflict with the Office 2010 64-bit beta that I ran for a week or so. I rolled back my system to Office 2007 (obviously, 32 bit) an haven't seen the described behaviour since.

EDIT: added "beta"!
Darwin

Return to Technical Support