Calendar Ownership

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Calendar Ownership

Postby apelec » Thu May 26, 2016 11:39 am

Is it possible to share the ownership or change the owner say from User1 to User2

best wishes
apelec

Re: Calendar Ownership

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 26, 2016 11:18 pm

You can follow these steps to transfer ownership of a shared calendar to a different user:

1. Use the “Export Events” command on the File menu to export the shared calendar to an ICS file.

2. Have the user that owns the shared calendar delete the calendar by right-clicking the calendar’s name and selecting “Delete Calendar”. A message will appear stating the calendar is shared and that it will be removed from all other computers. Confirm the deletion.

3. Have the user that wants to own the calendar import the ICS file that was exported in step 1.

4. After importing the calendar, open the Calendar Properties by double-clicking the calendar’s name.

5. On the Sync tab, check the box labeled “Share with VueMinder on other computers”. Update the user permissions as needed. If you want everyone on your network to be able to edit the calendar, set “(Everyone)” to “Contributor”.

6. After clicking OK, the calendar will appear on other computers (after a short delay where VueMinder might freeze for 10-30 seconds) and the Status Bar should indicate that you’re the new calendar owner.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Fri May 27, 2016 4:47 am

thank you for that.

I ended up in that situation after restoring User1 backup into User2 and replaced User1 with User3. Fortunately I had not yet deleted User1 from mySQL.

I am evaluating VM not only for my own use but also to advise small businesses who are looking for alternative to Outlook/Exchange Cal

If an employee leaves and the username is deleted from mySQL does it removes all that user shares and the other user updated? or will it be impossible to delete the employee's calendars from the other user's VM.

Best wishes
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Deleting the user's account from MySQL Server will not remove their calendars. Assuming you have root access to MySQL Server, if a person leaves and you would like to remove their calendars, you could follow these steps prior to deleting their account:

1. Use MySQL Workbench to change the user's password.
2, Open VueMinder and enter the username and password in the Sharing Options.
3. Delete the calendars that were owned by the user.
4. Open the Sharing Options and change the username and password back to your own.
5. You can now safely delete the user account from MySQL Server.

I understand it would be more convenient if there were a mechanism to easily delete another user's calendars or transfer ownership of their calendars. However, that would kind of defeat the security precautions that have been designed into calendar sharing. Those security precautions are intended to prevent users from accidentally (or intentionally) doing things to other users' calendars which they shouldn't be able to do.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support