Can't upgrade

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Can't upgrade

Postby patrickd314 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Can't upgrade from 2016.05 to 2016.07, getting the "invalid .msi" message. The Microsoft uninstall utility you have referenced in the forums doesn't work with Windows 10. Can you help?
patrickd314

Re: Can't upgrade

Postby VueSoft » Mon May 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi patrickd314, welcome to the forums. The error message should include the path where the installer is expecting to find the msi. Usually, this is a temp folder. When you delete stuff in the Temp folder, you could be deleting installer programs that Windows needs in order to uninstall a previous version of software in preparation for installing a new version.

Unfortunately, I don't have a backup of the VueMinderLatest.msi file for version 2016.05. I have a backup for almost every other version, but I forgot to generate a backup for that version. I think you'll need to find a different tool, such as Revo Uninstaller, that can clean up your registry. Before doing that, make sure to backup your current data to a location Revo Uninstall won't delete, because Revo might want to delete all your data when you use it to uninstall the previous version. You can backup your data by using the "File -> Backup Data" menu command in VueMinder.

After uninstalling version 2016.05, you should be able to install the latest version without any errors.

I hope that helps. Please let know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Can't upgrade

Postby patrickd314 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 am

First, thank you for the prompt response. For future reference: The Revo Uninstaller app worked. Using their basic uninstall option, the system simply ran into the original problem, "The file 'C:\Users\patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\' is not a valid installation package for the product VueMinderPro. ... " (VueMinderLatest.msi was present in that folder, but was apparently not usable for some reason.) So I went to "Advanced Scan," which apparently scans the registry and the system for every file containing the name, VueMinderPro, and, after asking, deletes them all. After a reboot, I downloaded and installed the latest version without problems.
patrickd314

Return to Technical Support