Import with links?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Import with links?

Postby apelec » Thu May 19, 2016 7:57 am

Is it possible to import events linked to contact. I can export from my old dB a CSV like

contact,date,time,description

how would I map the import in such a way that d&t and description is linked in VM to the contact.

the CSV is about 10k lines, I am prepared to write some code to archive this if the API is available.

Best wishes
apelec

Re: Import with links?

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi apelec, unfortunately there's no mechanism (or API) to import events that are linked to contacts.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Fri May 20, 2016 3:35 am

pity, this would be a deal breaker for me :-(

Would it be possible to poke directly into mySQL? I have done mySQL programming in the past. Rather than reverse engineer the dB structure, would you be willing to pass on the info I would need, by private e-mail perhaps.

You mentioned in an other post that all data are saved in mySQL. Looking directly into mySQL tables, it seems not all tables are populated and those that are have encrypted fields. There is no ContactID field in Events.

When and what exactly is stored in mySQL?

Many thanks
Attachments
mySQL-Events.jpg
mySQL-Events.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 12881 times
mySQL-Cal.jpg
mySQL-Cal.jpg (15.89 KiB) Viewed 12881 times
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi apelec, the database is secure to prevent people that don't have necessary permissions for viewing shared calendar data from bypassing the security settings in VueMinder and browsing the data directly. There's a "No access" permission when sharing calendars, in case some calendars should only be visible to certain people but not other people.

Also, for efficiency and backward compatibility, some of the data is stored as binary instead of hundreds of individual fields. In case you're curious, this is accomplished using protocol buffers - the same technology Google uses for efficiently passing data structures that can be updated and need to preserve backward compatibility with previous data and systems. It's a similar concept to passing data around via XML, but a lot more efficient.

All that being said, there's really no easy way for you to programmatically do this. VueMinder's code would need to be updated to process any additional fields you add. However, I could improve the code for importing contacts to also create linked events if additional columns (such as Event Title, Event Start, Event End, Event Description) are detected.

I've added this to my to-do list. If you'd like to expedite development and make sure this gets in the next release, please send an email to support@vueminder.com. I'll estimate how many hours it will take to code up, and how much it would cost.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 am

A compromise I could live with is to import events as notes. This would reduce 10k lines to a circa 200 copy & paste. I can export my historical events in a suitable format.

Is there a limit to how much data can be stored in notes?

two requests:

could we have a time stamp in the Note Editor (possibly with options)

activate <Ctrl><H> (search and replace)

thank you
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Is there a limit to how much data can be stored in notes?

No, there's no limit.

could we have a time stamp in the Note Editor (possibly with options)

Could you clarify? Are you asking for a way to see when the contact was last edited? What options are you envisioning?

activate <Ctrl><H> (search and replace)

I've added this to my to-do list and I'll post a reply when it's completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Mon May 23, 2016 3:25 am

apelec wrote:Could you clarify? Are you asking for a way to see when the contact was last edited? What options are you envisioning?

nothing complicated. just a button or better <Ctrl><D> or both to paste the current date & time at the cursor location in the Notes.

option to configure the format, like dd\mm\yyyy HH:MM or mm-dd-yyyy any other combination to suit country usage and personal preferences.

IMV this would add funtionality.

best regards
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi apelec, thank you for clarifying. I've added this to my to-do list.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Version 2017.00 adds a "Insert date and time" button to the text editor toolbar in the Pro and Ultimate versions. You can select to insert the current date or current date and time, using several different formats. See the page linked below for more details:
http://vueminder.com/blog/post/whatsnew ... provements

To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support