Backup

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Backup

Postby apelec » Wed May 18, 2016 11:05 am

My data is on a mySQL Linux server, what does the backup actually backs up. Assuming the mySQL server died and is replaced, does the restore rebuild the database?

Do I need to backup the mySQL database separately?

thanks
apelec

Re: Backup

Postby VueSoft » Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi apelec, VueMinder stores its data locally. The path to the data can be found in the Program Options. Basically, most of the files in the data folder will be compressed into a backup file and then stored where you have configured the backup location (in the Backup Data window).

The database is not backed up as part of VueMinder's built-in backup feature. There are other tools that can automatically backup MySQL Server databases, or you can do it manually via MySQL Workbench. However, it's not really necessary. If your server dies, none of the data on your local computers will be affected. It just won't sync with your other computers anymore. To get the data to sync again, you could re-install MySQL Server and then re-enable your calendars to be shared. The calendars will upload to the new database and start syncing again.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 am

Thank you for your reply. In my ignorance I assumed all data was safely stored in mySQL This rises more questions.

1- Assume this scenario. UserA has VM on PC1 and PC2, UserB has VM on PV3. UserA and UserB share their data.

changes made on PC1 will be sync with PC2 and PC3 and this is done via the mySQL ONLY if PC2 and PC3 are switched on.

what would you expect in that situation:
PC2 is OFF, a new event1 is created on PC1 and then PC1 is switched off
PC2 is ON while PC1 is still OFF will it see event1
event2 is created on PC2 and switched OFF

I assume PC3 will have picked up event1 and event2
Next time PC1 and PC2 are switched ON will they both see event1&2

What data is stored in mySQL? just the transient sync info?

2- If I want to move the Local data to a server share what do I need,

one folder per PC or one folder per user ?

sorry to be a pest, I like to know what I am getting into before I spend ages migrating tons of data from an other system.

Thank you for your patience.
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Thank you for your reply. In my ignorance I assumed all data was safely stored in mySQL This rises more questions.

The data is stored both locally and in the MySQL Server database.

PC2 is OFF, a new event1 is created on PC1 and then PC1 is switched off

When PC1 creates event1, it will be added to the database along with a "transaction" record to notify other computers that a new event was added. The event will appear on PC3.

PC2 is ON while PC1 is still OFF will it see event1

When VueMinder starts on PC2, it will sync with the database and event1 will automatically appear, regardless of whether PC1 is running.

event2 is created on PC2 and switched OFF

The event2 will automatically appear on PC1 and PC3. It doesn't matter if PC2 is running. As soon as an event is created, it gets added to the database along with a transaction record.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Fri May 20, 2016 2:55 am

Thank you for that. It was a long post and you probably mist part 2

2- If I want to move the Local data to a server share what do I need,
one folder per PC or one folder per user ?

As you said that all data is stored in mySQL, why the need for local or share folders?

best wishes
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi apelec, you would need one folder per PC. The same "local" data folder can't be accessed simultaneously from multiple computers. Also, you wouldn't be able to access the data when disconnected from the network. This is why VueMinder defaults to storing data on a local drive.

For example, if you have a laptop that connects to your network and syncs through MySQL Server, and then you take that laptop on a business trip where you're not connected to the network, you could still view and edit calendar data if the data is stored locally. VueMinder will operate in offline mode. When you reconnect to the network, changes made while offline will automatically sync (in both directions). Please let me know if this is still unclear.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Sun May 22, 2016 6:02 am

As a test I have:

1. done a backup
2. exit VM
3. delete the local dB
4 start VM

at this point the dB is empty, should it not have resync from mySQL ?

the "restore data" worked OK

perhaps I misunderstood the function of the mySQL server.

regards
apelec

Postby apelec » Sun May 22, 2016 7:05 am

> Hi apelec, you would need one folder per PC. The same "local" data folder can't be accessed simultaneously from multiple computers.

sorry for asking again, it needs to be clear in my mind.

I need my calendar and contacts open on two computers simultaneously, one in my study, one in my workshop. My wife has her own PC and we will share our calendars.

What the best way to do that?
[ I do not want "local folder" to be in user profile, nor c-partition (small SSD) , I have d-partions or shares ]

\\servershare\VM\me
\\servershare\VM\wife

is that safe?

or

\\servershare\VM\pc1
\\servershare\VM\pc2
\\servershare\VM\pc3

how do I view my calendar on two PC?

is there a better way?

best wishes
apelec

Postby VueSoft » Sun May 22, 2016 9:40 pm

at this point the dB is empty, should it not have resync from mySQL ?

When you deleted the local data, did you delete everything? There's a settings file which contains the MySQL Server host name. If you delete the settings file, then VueMinder won't know which host to connect to, so the data that's on the server won't be downloaded. However, if you were to re-open the Sharing Options and re-enter the host name, then the previous data would re-appear. Also, if the host name is already specified but the data doesn't appear, try the "Sync Now" button in the Sharing Options to force VueMinder to sync with the server.

perhaps I misunderstood the function of the mySQL server.

The server is not really intended to work as a backup feature (although it does that). It's to sync data between multiple computers, so you can access the same data on any of your computers without needing to do things like putting your local data folder on a server folder - which would only work if you're not accessing the data simultaneously from multiple computers.

\\servershare\VM\me
\\servershare\VM\wife

is that safe?

As long as you don't try to access the data folder from multiple computers simultaneously, it would be safe. However, it's also kind of unnecessary if you've configured your data to sync with MySQL Server.

\\servershare\VM\pc1
\\servershare\VM\pc2
\\servershare\VM\pc3

Again, that would be safe as long as the folders aren't accessed simultaneously from multiple computers. Also, keep in mind that if your network goes down or if you disconnect from the network, the offline mode feature of VueMinder won't work. You won't be able to access or save data while disconnected. This is why VueMinder defaults to saving data locally.

how do I view my calendar on two PC?

My recommendation would be to configure your calendars to be shared through MySQL Server, as described on the page linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... ml#sharing

I'd also recommend saving your data on the local hard drive instead of the network, for the reasons mentioned above.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby apelec » Mon May 23, 2016 4:13 am

VueSoft wrote:Also, if the host name is already specified but the data doesn't appear, try the "Sync Now" button in the Sharing Options to force VueMinder to sync with the server.

This does not work for me :( The Sharing Test Connection is fine, but no sync as if there is no data in MySQL. Is there more to configure than just set up the Share link to the mySQL server?

MySQL is on a Linux Apache server, I can see the VueMinder dB and all the tables.

VueSoft wrote:The server is not really intended to work as a backup feature (although it does that).

this is not my intention, I am simply trying to ascertain how this things works, how safe is my data and ensure disaster recovery.

best regards
apelec

Next

Return to Technical Support