Re-occuring entries symbol and query

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Re-occuring entries symbol and query

Postby Jaffacaique » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:32 am

Hi Dan... Happy New Year

Could you please tell me what the re-occuring symbol means when it has a diagonal line through it, I've looked through the online help and cannot seem to find a reference to it....I have set up my work dates on Vueminder Pro sucessully several weeks ago and on a few occasions I've noticed dates with this particular symbol on them.

Also... When I have created an event in Vueminder and imported it to Google it works successfully, however on a few occaisions I changed or updated the entry in Vueminder (leaving a just single event on that date in Vueminder) and imported it again into Google Calendar it then shows as a double entry, both entries showing the new and old info side by side on the same date. It isn't a major problem as I usually check the converted entries in Google after importing them just to confirm everything is still correct. Wasn't sure whether this was Google Calendar or Vueminder issue and if you or anyone else have encountered this too. Hope this has been explained clearly

Thank you for creating such an excellent program and also for the regular feedback and help you provide.
Jaffacaique

Re: Re-occuring entries symbol and query

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 am

The diagonal line through the recurrence symbol means that particular event occurrence is a variation of the recurring series. This could happen if the event occurrence is changed in any way, such as having a different starting time, different description, or a reminder that was snoozed/dismissed. The symbol indicates the event is still part of a recurring series, but there's something different about the occurrence.

Regarding Google Calendar sometimes showing double-entries, how are you importing into Google Calendar? Are you syncing with Google Calendar (via the Google Calendar tab in the Calendar Properties window), or exporting to an iCalendar (ICS) file and then importing the file into Google Calendar?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Jaffacaique » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 am

I originally tried importing the 6 separate calendars (all created using vueminder pro) to Google using the export ics file method for each calendar in turn, this worked sucessfully and all 6 of the calendars displayed fine in google. However if I export the same calendars again from vueminder due to changes made on vueminder over the top of the same existing calendars in google - google becomes confused and duplicates some of the dates that I have not changed and even adds events to dates that were not originally there. I presume I will need to delete the 'old' google calendars before 'importing' the new ones into it.... sorry if this is confusing but I think it may be a google related problem as vueminder calendars seem fine until the ics files are imported into google.

Based on your reply I decided to try using the built in export feature in vueminder, I configured the settings in Vueminder tomatch those in Google Calendar and the test email function worked fine. When I attempt the sync Vueminder with Google vueminder tells me the time and date its has synced but nothing shows up in google calendar. I have logged out and back in again but it still does not appear. Does vueminder automatically setup create a new calendar in google using the exported information or should I have already created a blank calendar in google for it to import into?
Jaffacaique

Postby VueSoft » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Regarding the export to ICS files and import into Google Calendar, I believe Google Calendar will create duplicates of the events when importing from ICS. It sounds like you're seeing this as well. The preferred method, if you want to keep VueMinder and Google in sync, would be to use the Google Calendar sync feature of VueMinder Calendar. I believe that's what you were referring to in your second paragraph, although you said 'export' so I could have misunderstood.

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, I believe you went to the Calendar Properties window of an existing calendar in VueMinder, and enabled Google Calendar sync by selecting the checkbox. If this is what you did, a new calendar should have been created (by VueMinder) in your Google Calendar. From that point, any changes made in VueMinder to events belonging to that calendar should automatically sync with Google Calendar of the same name, and vice versa. The calendar name in Google Calendar should match the calendar name in VueMinder. It's possible if you already had a calendar of the same name defined in Google Calendar, VueMinder may not have been able to successfully create a new calendar on Google, and is now confused. That's the only thing I can think of that would explain why it isn't working for you.

Could you try creating a new calendar in VueMinder, having a name that is definitely not a calendar name already listed in your Google Calendar, and then try enabling it to sync with Google Calendar as described above? After doing this, refresh or open Google Calendar. You should see the matching calendar name in your list of calendars. If not, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support