setup procedure missing for LAN

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

setup procedure missing for LAN

Postby Joerg » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 am

I miss any description about the setup procedure within a LAN for a multi-user environment. Do I have to install the downloaded trial setup.exe on each single computer and at the server? Are there no differences between the single user frontend installation and the server database installation? Does the setup install a MySQL database on each single computer? Could every user adjust his settings to save the data at the server and not local? When a user's computer is switched-off, do the other users still see its calendar entries?
We prefer to store all user's calendars (or the one and only public group calendar) at the server which is running all the time. But in that case we do not need a MySQL installation on each single computer.
Joerg

Re: setup procedure missing for LAN

Postby martinw7750 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:23 am

it's described here in quite easy steps

http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/how- ... d-contacts
martinw7750

Postby martinw7750 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:32 am

I had pretty much all these queries when I first set it up. It's easy to do and just works.

Do I have to install the downloaded trial setup.exe on each single computer?
yes - install on each computer where you want to view the calendar.

Install MySql server on a pc that will always be switched on.

Does the setup install a MySQL database on each single computer?
no

Could every user adjust his settings to save the data at the server and not local ?
The data is saved on the MySql server and cached on the local pc

When a user's computer is switched-off, do the other users still see its calendar entries?
Yes, provided MySql server is running

We prefer to store all user's calendars (or the one and only public group calendar) at the server which is running all the time. But in that case we do not need a MySQL installation on each single computer.
That's how it works.

I'm sure Dan will correct anything I've got wrong.....
martinw7750

Postby Joerg » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:41 am

Many thanks, guys. I would never search in section "Blog" for any installation instructions ;-) But now I got what I searched for and could think about a first trial installation.
Greetings
Joerg
Joerg

Postby VueSoft » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Joerg, welcome to the forums. The reply from martinw7750 is correct. You only need to install MySQL Server on one computer. The other computers will connect to the server in order to sync data.

Please let me know if you get stuck setting up MySQL Server or if have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Joerg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Dan

Today I wanted to install MySQL on our old server. Unfortunately I was not able to install the current version of MySQL Workbench 6.3.6 on our Windows Server 2003 R2 machine. The setup system told always: "The operating system is not adequate for running MySQL Workbench 6.3 CE. You need Windows 7 or newer and .Net Client Profile installed"
Net 4.0 has been installed. But I'm not able to update the Server 2003 to Windows 7 presently.

Do you know whether older versions of MySQL Server are available in the internet running under Server 2003 R2 and still work with VueMinder?

Regards
Joerg

edit: I have found the opportunity to download older packages. But which one works properly with Win Server 2003 ?
Joerg

Postby VueSoft » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi joerg, I haven't done much testing with older versions of MySQL Server, but as far as I'm aware they should work properly with VueMinder.

The page linked below shows MySQL Server compatibility with different versions of Windows. According to the table, MySQL Server 5.5.x was the last version that was still compatible with Windows Server 2003.
https://www.mysql.com/support/supported ... abase.html

See below for a the link to the page where you can download older version of MySQL Server. Try version 5.5.48:
http://downloads.mysql.com/archives/community/

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Joerg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 am

Hi Dan,
Many thanks for your support. Unfortunately the installation failed again. But the MySQL server is not the problem but the MySQL Workbench. Although the server v5.5.x has been installed successfully the workbench v6.3.6 failed. But it seems an older workbench is not available in MySQL Community Server Archives.
Don't know whether I could make database settings without the workbench. I have no experiences with database setups and what to observe in this regard.

At the moment my boss don't intend to invest in new server hardware/software. Insofar I don't have other permanent running machines here for trial installations.
Joerg

Postby VueSoft » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi Joerg, MySQL Workbench is mostly used for adding new user accounts or resetting user passwords. It can also be helpful for troubleshooting problems. VueMinder can still sync calendar data without having MySQL Server installed, but you'll need to make sure you define the required user accounts during the initial installation and the user accounts have the correct permissions. See step 2-16 in the instructions linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/how- ... d-contacts

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby martinw7750 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:18 am

Joerg wrote:Hi Dan,
Many thanks for your support. Unfortunately the installation failed again. But the MySQL server is not the problem but the MySQL Workbench. Although the server v5.5.x has been installed successfully the workbench v6.3.6 failed. But it seems an older workbench is not available in MySQL Community Server Archives.
Don't know whether I could make database settings without the workbench. I have no experiences with database setups and what to observe in this regard.

At the moment my boss don't intend to invest in new server hardware/software. Insofar I don't have other permanent running machines here for trial installations.

Hi Jorg,

I had the same problem installing on windows XP. MySql runs just fine and so does VueMinder.

You can do all the management from a MySql command line client.

To see a list of accounts:
select host, user, password from mysql.server;

to add a user account for fred with a password of password:
CREATE USER 'fred'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'fred'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION;

to remove a user account
DROP USER 'fread'@'%';

Cheers
Martin
martinw7750

Next

Return to Technical Support