Import Contacts?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Import Contacts?

Postby Rachel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm

Is there a way to import contacts? I have a database of a couple of thousand contacts which includes their Name, email address, mobile number and mobile provider, is there any way to import these all at once instead of entering them one by one? This program has many of the features I have been looking for but if I have to enter contacts manually making the switch may not be worth it.
Rachel

Re: Import Contacts?

Postby VueSoft » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Hello Rachel, welcome to the forums. Currently, there's no mechanism to import contacts. However, this is something I'm planning to improve in the very near future. Can you export your database to CSV, or Excel? If so, that will align with the planned improvements. If that's not possible, please send me an email at support@vuesoftsite.com, and I'll work with you to find a way to import your contacts.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah that's no problem at all. It would really be awesome if I could break the contacts into groups (companies) instead of having to search from a list of thousands for the right person. Or if it would kind of smart select when I start entering a name.
Rachel

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking along the lines of allowing one or more arbitrary tags to be assigned to contacts. These could be used to define distribution lists or any number of other possibilities. The tags could also be used to filter the list of contacts to only show those contacts associated with a specified tag. I'll work on adding this feature.

As for a "smart select" when typing in a contact name, I believe it already does this. As you type in a name, a drop-down list will appear listing possible matches, so you can select from the list instead of having to type the full name. Is that what you're looking for, or were you referring to something else?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Rachel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:53 pm

VueSoft wrote:As for a "smart select" when typing in a contact name, I believe it already does this. As you type in a name, a drop-down list will appear listing possible matches, so you can select from the list instead of having to type the full name. Is that what you're looking for, or were you referring to something else?

Yeah that's what I am talking about, just haven't got enough names added to see that work, I really need a way to import my contacts without having to enter them one by one.
Rachel

Postby VueSoft » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:32 am

Hi Rachel, I'm currently working on adding this functionality. It will probably be several weeks before the next version is completed containing these improvements. If your trial period expires before the next version is ready, please let me know and I will gladly extend your trial period.

Also, there are ways to work around the current limitation of not being able to import. The contact data is stored in an XML file named "Contacts.XML". See the data location path in the Program Options window for the file location, since it varies depending on which version of Windows you're using. It sounds like you're comfortable with databases and Excel, so maybe you have some experience with XML files as well. It's basically just a text file with start and end tags for the various contact properties. If you know how to write macros in Excel, you could probably write something that can generate the XML file.

Of course, in a few more weeks that won't be necessary, but I thought I'd mention it as a possible workaround for the time being.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support