Send Invitations

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Send Invitations

Postby danielv95 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi, I am trying the ViewMinder Pro trial version. How do I set up a meeting event with some of my co-workers and send them invitations? Thanks, Dan
danielv95

Re: Send Invitations

Postby VueSoft » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Hello Dan, welcome to the forums. Since VueMinder Calendar is not a full-blown email program like Outlook, it doesn't have quite the same capabilities for sending meeting requests and receiving email notifications of whether people accept, reject, or propose different times. However, the Pro version does provide the capability to send a meeting notice using your default email program.

After creating an event, right-click it and select the "Send via Email" command. The event will be added as an ICS attachment to an email, which you can send to whomever you'd like to receive the meeting notice. This event notification can be opened from Outlook and added to its calendar, and probably any other email clients that have an integrated calendar. If you send it to someone else that is using VueMinder Calendar, when the attachment is opened it will be added to their VueMinder Calendar.

Please let me know if you encounter any difficulty using this feature, or if you have any other questions. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 am

Version 6.0.0 has been released. This version includes a "New Meeting Request" command, accessed from the File menu or by right-clicking the calendar. Note, this requires you have some other mail client installed on your computer. When a meeting request is commanded, a list of your contacts will be displayed. Select the contacts you'd like to receive the meeting request by using the checkboxes. The event editor will then appear, as when creating a normal event. After clicking OK, a mail message will open (using your default mail client). It will be addressed to your selected contacts and the new event will be included as an iCalendar-formatted attachment.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby danielv95 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi Dan and Vuesoft,

Thank you for this response. I am trying version 6 and finding more of the features I am looking for.

I am having trouble with the "New Meeting Request" and "Send Via Email" features. I have Pocomail configured as my default email program (it works for mailto: links.) When I try to use these features in VueMinder v6.0.1 I get the following error message:

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill
the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the
default mail client."

What settings do I need in Vista for VueMinder to recognize my default email client? Is there a registry entry other than HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command (value C:\PROGRA~1\POCOMA~1\Poco.exe /m "%1") that is needed?
Thanks -- Dan V.
danielv95

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:28 am

Do you have Outlook installed on your machine? I've investigated the error message and this is something Outlook pops up if there's some type of registry or DLL problem. My guess is that PocoMail is messing with a system setting or DLL that Outlook also uses. VueMinder is sending a MAPI request to the default mail client, but since both Outlook and PocoMail are installed and registered for MAPI, Outlook gets the MAPI command first and spits out an error.

There's a Microsoft KB article on this, including steps to correct the problem. It's written for Outlook 2002, but I think the same basic steps would apply to later versions. Here's the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813745

If you don't have Outlook installed, but still getting this error, there could be some other configuration problem. You might check with the makers of PocoMail to see if they have any insights, since I think this same error message would occur from any other 3rd party application attempting to command PocoMail to send a mail message (with a file attachment) via MAPI commands. I'd appreciate if you could let me know what you find, in case anyone else reports a similar problem. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby danielv95 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 am

Hi Dan and Vuesoft,

I found out that Pocomail can't handle the MAPI request. I've managed a work-around by temporarily registering Thunderbird to handle the MAPI request. It's a kludge for me, but that's not Vueminder's fault.

So now I'm on to the process of accepting invitations from other people. When I receive an .ics attachment in my email and import it into Vueminder, is there a way to accept the invitation like there is in Outlook? Most of my big clients are on Outlook and Exchange. I respond to the email, of course, but that doesn't update their calendars.

Also, is there a place in Vueminder where I can see the list of attendees for a meeting?

Thanks -- Dan
danielv95

Postby VueSoft » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Currently, there's no way to accept a meeting invitation directly in VueMinder and send a notification of the acceptance. There's also no way to see a list of attendees or whether each attendee as accepted or declined the meeting notice. However, I could possibly incorporate these features in the future. Thank you for the suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support