No text seen unless...

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Re: No text seen unless...

Postby ymleong » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 am

Hi,

I'm using 5.5.1 and had the same issues. All my "text" kept disappearing, and I have taken to backup my calendar every time I put in something new (very irrating). I know there is a pro version, but since this Lite is freeware, shouldnt it be as bug free as possible? If I will to buy the Pro version, I still wont be convinced that this wont happen. Over this weekend, my text again disappeared (the reminder events are still around and I have to delete these individually), but I cannot see any text on my calendar.

I have found a neat but very stupid get-around the issue way. Backup everytime I added some new alerts. Yea! Stupid. Backup is ok, but everytime I added new events??? Give me a break!!! I kinda of backup every week. This week, I had to restore my calendar. Previously I didnt get around to use the backup features as I was new to this Calendar. When a new version is updated, the software automatically ask me to backup and pops up a window to enable me to do so. For some strange reason it didnt allow me to choose the folder to backup to (unless I backup manually, not at pt of updating version). It then promptly decided that I dont have authority to write into some strange path (which it defaulted). Since I am administrator of my PC, I dont know what is happening. So I lost all my alerts 3x in a row. I also had to re-download, uninstall-re-install 3x as somehow there was an error message when I opened it. The latest version seems to be "quite" stable, except the text is still disappering.

So according to Don its resolved in 5.5.1 for lite, but still happening? I'm running Vista with 4gb dual processors of 2gb each, so the error message of memory shld not appear?
ymleong

Postby gjbth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 am

Hello, ymleong

I have the purchased Pro version of Vueminder and I can confirm that I've NEVER seen the issue you describe. Version 5.5.1 is the most stable version yet and runs all day long without any issues on my system. The Pro version is a superb piece of software and I recommend you try it, as I said in an earlier post it's worth every penny and no, I have no connection with Vuesoft, just a highly satisfied customer :D .

I must admit I have no experience of the lite version, but if there is an issue, I am sure Dan will have it sorted asap, once he's been made aware of it. Vuesoft support is second to none.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby ipbr21054 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:32 am

VueSoft wrote:Thanks for the screenshot. I hadn't realized you were using the Lite version. I did some more testing with the Lite version and was eventually able to get it into a state where events wouldn't display when they should. The Pro version doesn't have this problem, so I compared the 5.5.0 changes in Lite with the ones made for Pro, and was able to track down the culprit by looking at the differences.

A new release (5.5.1) will be officially coming out later today. In the meantime, here's a link to download the release candidate of the Lite version. I also included a link to download the release candidate of the Pro version, in case you'd like to see all the features you're missing. ;)

Lite: http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMinder_Lite_Setup_5.5.1.exe
Pro: http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMinder_Pro_Setup_5.5.1.exe

There are a number of other corrections and improvements as well. Complete release notes will be coming out shortly.

To install either of these, first exit VueMinder Calendar by right-clicking the icon in the task tray and selecting 'Exit'. Then, download and run the executable to update your installation. All your previous data will remain present when the new version runs.

If you say download the pro version over using the lite version as it does everything you want it to then that would be a expensive way to get around the text dissapearing problem at a large cost to the buyer,if the lite version is ok then go with it but if on a budget it does need to be stable.
Obviously there will be a few issues and are corrected very quick but buying the pro version is not the answer to the problem.
I would assume a large amount of people that use the pro version do so for there business or for work related reasons :?:
The Lite version is more than ample for what is needed for the home user ;)
Download this version of the lite calendar from the link shown above like i did and the text problem has been corrected.
Looking back through some posts i see this calendar was 1 year old say 2 months ago and you could purchase it for a special price of which was 50% of its current price.
As it is christmas why not offer the price again and i would think many people would then give it a go as its much cheaper for a limitied amount of time,i for one would buy it and give it a go only because of the cost.How many time have you bought something when only on offer but would not bother at the current price. :roll:
For the home user reading things that the pro version does over the lite version like having a selected colour for each event at the users choice in pro over all the same colour in lite is a little costly for what we can put up with.
After all if the software was downloaded for $10 or $40 it does not make much differance to the owner but it does make a big differance to the buyer,would you rather sell 10 downloads for $10 each as opposed to no downloads for $0 in another special offer at christmas.
I am not here to get something for nothing but if this was an option would you not get more feedback on the lite users using the pro version ?
At the moment people who would use the pro trial version would not possibly make any feedback and just delete it and run with the lite version again once expired.
I have not downloaded the pro trial version because even if it was perfect i could not pay the price due to being made redundant but i am here giving my feedback on a few different topics.
If a lite user was to use the trial pro version once the trial period is over the lite user would then revert back to the lite version,my question is,is there anything in place with a small multi choice questionaire of why the user is removing the trial pro version and not buying the license to then update from the lite version,this would also give you feedback ?
Just a suggestion to see if at a reduced rate would you sell more to the lite user as opposed to nothing to the lite user ?
ipbr21054

Postby gjbth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 am

Hello ipbr21054, First of all I apologise if you misunderstood my post, I am in no way suggesting you should buy the Pro version simply because it is free of a bug which is in the lite version. As i said if there is a bug in the lite version, you can bet your life Dan will fix it asap, as soon as he is made aware of it.

You are correct, i do use Vueminder for business use, and it is excellent, in fact i've reached the point where I would be lost without it.
however there are vastly more benefits to the Pro version than simply being able to change indvidual event colours. But If the lite version meets your needs thats great :D ,maybe you don't need the advanced features yet, but you always have that upgrade path if you need the extra features.

You mentioned an offer of 50% off the price, in fact thats how I first encountered Vueminder, quite by chance, and I was so impressed I instantly migrated from a competing product which I had used for the last five years. Don't let Dan know ;) , but I would have willingly paid the full price. However I am sure I have seen somewhere on the site, a large discount, for anyone crossgrading from a competing product.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby ipbr21054 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:45 am

Here is the link for the 50% discount for the first birtday of this site.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=119

It reads that the calendar will be $19.95 as opposed to $39.95
I just thought i would mention that as it was christmas why not offer this price again and see what response you have in people donwloading it.
Many people like i say use the lite because it will be fine for home use as the pro would be used mainly at work etc.
I think many people would love to use the pro version over the lite version but it did not warrant them paying $39.95 but would definatley consider $19.95
Just to recap 10 x $19.95 is better than 0 x $39.95
Obviously you cant do this offer everytime people cant afford it or its christmas etc but if the problem with the missing text is only in the lite version how did it not affect the pro version ?
People that use the lite version give there feedback to make it a better calendar and to bring it up to par with the pro version & by using the pro version would also leave feedback but possibly not do the same if it was on a trial period thus Vuesoft then not getting that vital input & the user just deleting the software.
If somebody was using a different calendar system and decided to come over to the pro version how much would it then cost them as they would not pay the $39.95 as Vuesoft would like them to use there calendar so is it then not the same as offering the lite users a christmas special for $19.95 either way coming from a different calendar system or upgrading from lite to pro its money it Vuesofts bank account is it not :?:
ipbr21054

Postby VueSoft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm using 5.5.1 and had the same issues. All my "text" kept disappearing, and I have taken to backup my calendar every time I put in something new (very irrating). I know there is a pro version, but since this Lite is freeware, shouldnt it be as bug free as possible? If I will to buy the Pro version, I still wont be convinced that this wont happen. Over this weekend, my text again disappeared (the reminder events are still around and I have to delete these individually), but I cannot see any text on my calendar.

The original problem, reported by ipbr21054, was only in the Lite version and was corrected in 5.5.1. However, I believe there is still a related problem, which affects both the Lite and Pro versions. On most computers, it works fine (and in both Pro and Lite versions), but a few people have reported similar problems. I've made some additional corrections in 6.0.0, which will be entering beta testing within a couple days. If you'd like to try either the Lite and/or Pro beta, to confirm if the problem is indeed corrected, I'd appreciate it. Again, this problem is not something I'm able to see when testing, and believe me, I've tried just about every possible testing configuration that I can think of. You can request the beta by sending an email to support@vuesoftsite.com.

If a lite user was to use the trial pro version once the trial period is over the lite user would then revert back to the lite version,my question is,is there anything in place with a small multi choice questionaire of why the user is removing the trial pro version and not buying the license to then update from the lite version,this would also give you feedback ?

Currently, there's no survey or questionnaire when uninstalling or reverting from the Pro trial to Lite. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll see if there's a way to add something like this.

If somebody was using a different calendar system and decided to come over to the pro version how much would it then cost them as they would not pay the $39.95 as Vuesoft would like them to use there calendar so is it then not the same as offering the lite users a christmas special for $19.95

VueSoft does offer occasional discounts and promotions. In fact, we've been considering having a week long discount during December. But to be honest, there wasn't really any noticeable difference in the number of people purchasing the program during the previous discount. Surprisingly, after the discount ended and the price returned to $39.95, sales actually increased. However, that may have just been a statistical fluke. I do know have a temporary 50% price reduction can be a strong incentive to purchase.

Also, there is a competitive discount for people switching from competing calendar software.

And, for those unable to pay $39.95, there's also a TrialPay option. When you complete an offer through TrialPay, like purchasing Christmas gifts online, you can get a free copy of VueMinder Calendar Pro.

In any case, I thank you for your suggestions. This thread has me thinking about additional ways the software could be promoted.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 am

Version 6.0.0, both Lite and Pro, has been released. I believe the reported problem is corrected in this release, although I can't say for certain because I never was able to replicate the behavior. If you still see it happen in 6.0.0, please let me know.

Also, a number of other memory and performance improvements are in 6.0.0. The program should be noticeably faster now, while using less memory and CPU. I don't know if these improvements are related to the problems you were seeing, but thought I'd mention it, since I spent the better part of 2 weeks (including nights and weekends) working on fixing it. I hope you enjoy the Lite version and these corrections improve yout experience with the program.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby ipbr21054 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm

I originaly started this topic and the issue was in 5.5.0 for me.
Once i updated the software to 5.5.1 the issue had gone.
I have no udated to 6.0.0 and still no sign of it.
All working fine for me from 5.5.1
ipbr21054

V6.0.1

Postby ymleong » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:54 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks a million, the migration was very painless and finally it allowed me to backup my calendar in a folder I wanted! All my events which had not occurred automatically appeared in its correct slot.

Thks again.

PS: I;m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the fix will be permanent.

BTW: I'll post in another topic for re-scheduled events error
ymleong

Postby VueSoft » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:46 pm

If somebody was using a different calendar system and decided to come over to the pro version how much would it then cost them as they would not pay the $39.95 as Vuesoft would like them to use there calendar so is it then not the same as offering the lite users a christmas special for $19.95...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, VueSoft has been planning a week long promotion in celebration of Christmas. I'm happy to announce, the promotion has started. It will last all this week, ending the day after Christmas.

Instead of the the regular price of $39.95 USD, it will be $19.95. You can automatically receive the discount from within the program when clicking the "Buy Now" button. You can also receive the discount by clicking here.

Merry Christmas!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support