Trouble importing an ICS feed

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Trouble importing an ICS feed

Postby chrisleonard » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 am

Hello,

I am *so* close to switching my Windows calendaring to VueMinder. However, I am using the Pro Trial version, and one of my ICS calendars will not import. For that particular calendar, ICS is the only useful live feed I can get (they also support raw XML and HTML, but those won't import directly into any program I know of). The calendar is hosted at Go Daddy / secureserver.net. Are there any known issues I could be running into? If not, how can I debug what's going wrong? Only a few days left on the trial, so I hope we can figure something out.

I'll be happy to help debug this in any way I can. I'm a developer, so if you need me to poke something, I game. You know how developers are.

Thanks much,
Chris
chrisleonard

Re: Trouble importing an ICS feed

Postby VueSoft » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:17 am

Hi Chris, welcome to the forums! There are no known issues I'm aware of when subscribing or importing ICS (iCalendar) files. Could you send me your ICS calendar or URL? It can be sent to support@vuesoftsite.com. I'll see if I can debug where the import is failing. If you need an extension on your trial while I work on finding the problem, please let me know. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby chrisleonard » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:43 pm

This topic went offline since I had to share a private ICS URL with VueSoft support. However, I wanted to post a follow-up stating that the problem is a problem in the ICS feed from my calendar provider. I'm going to try to get them to fix that, but in the meantime I was able to use the information that Dan from VueSoft gave me to fix my calendar feed, and it's working properly now. Dan also says that they may be adding a feature to correct this type of error (or possibly ignore the invalid entry).

So, long story short, I'd add my voice to the chorus of people saying that VueSoft support came through in a great way for me. Thanks, Dan!
chrisleonard

Postby VueSoft » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:46 am

Version 5.5.0 has been released and has some improvements to importing, to make it more robust when errors are detected. It should be able to import your calendar as it was orginally defined.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:00 am

Version 6.0.0 further improves importing. Now, when an error is detected, a message will be displayed giving details about the problem that was encountered (which will typically be some type of parsing problem or non-conformance with the RFC 2445 iCalendar standar). A link will also be provided in the error message to a handy online tool I found for validating ICS files against the iCalendar standar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support