Vueminder Pro using excessive CPU time

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Vueminder Pro using excessive CPU time

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 am

Everytime I start Vueminder Pro, current version (5.4.0), it grabs 25% of my CPU, this on a Q6600 Quad Core. As of now it's been at 25% for 34 minutes. I used several of the Sysinternals utilities to look at what was happening and it seems to just be sitting there. There was zero i/o activity according to Process Explorer (Properties/Performance graph), the physical memory used is pretty static. It ticks up and down a little but, for instance, it's been sitting at 83,356K for several minutes now.

I've rebooted the machine, didn't make a difference. Same thing happened as soon as it started.

I have it installed on a desktop and a laptop, with both published to the LAN. The problem is on the desktop, the one that was installed and published first, if that makes any difference. The only change I've made recently was to a number of Recurring Events (birthdays and anniversaries). They didn't have reminders set so I went through and turned on the reminders for all of them. Since then I've been getting reminders of ones way in the past ("such and such is 29 weeks overdue"). Dismissing them made no difference, they kept coming back. I thought about deleting and reentering them all but Vueminder doesn't respond, just sits there using that 25% CPU. I can't even dismiss the reminders that have popped up.

Suggestions before I uninstall?

UPDATE: It just went to normal CPU usage and is responding. It took about 37 minutes.
Mike

Re: Vueminder Pro using excessive CPU time

Postby VueSoft » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Mike, thanks for letting me know about the problem. This is something I've occassionally seen happen as well, and it has been corrected for the next release. When sharing over a local network, the default behavior is to sync the calendar whenever a change is detected. The program sometimes gets itself into a cycle of syncing the calendar when it shouldn't be, and once it falls into this cycle, it continuously syncs every couple of seconds. This results in the program becoming unresponsive and reminders returning even when they've been dismissed.

Like I said, a correction has been made for the next release. However, this release is still in work and may take a couple weeks to be completed. In the meantime, there is a workaround. Double-click the shared calendar in your Calendar List to access the Calendar Properties window. Switch to the Subscribe tab. Change the update frequency, so instead of saying "Automatically", it says "Every 5 minutes", or whatever update frequency is sufficient. You'll need to do this on both your desktop and laptop.

Please let me know if this doesn't fix it, or if you have any questions. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. It hasn't done it since that time but I made the suggested changes anyway.
Mike

Postby VueSoft » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:43 am

Version 5.5.0 has been released, and contains a number of corrections related to real-time calendar sharing on a local network. You should be able to switch the update frequency back to "Automatically" and not notice any significant CPU use.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:52 am

Cool! I'll download and try it out.
Mike

Postby VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 am

Version 6.0.0 has been released. This version contains a number of optimizations to further reduce CPU use. The program will usually show 0% while running in the background, unless an automatic sync is occurring. You might sometimes see it hit 1-2%, but that's usually due to it checking to see if any reminders are due or calendars needing to be synced.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support