Desktop auto day advance problem. Printing: 5 weeks only?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Desktop auto day advance problem. Printing: 5 weeks only?

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Thank you for great software! One problem and one question/suggestion:

(1) Desktop Calendar fails to auto advance to the next day (manual click on "Today" button changes the day as expected).

(2) printing: style: monthly. Why layout style is limited to five weeks only? More weeks on a single page would be really usefull! (I often need to print 10-12 weeks on one page).

(VueMinder Calendar lite v.5.3.2, Win XP Pro Sp3).

Thanks, Derek
Derek

Re: Desktop auto day advance problem. Printing: 5 weeks only?

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi Derek, thank you for the feedback and welcome to the forums!

Derek wrote:(1) Desktop Calendar fails to auto advance to the next day (manual click on "Today" button changes the day as expected).

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you clarify? Are you referring to the left and right arrows to switch between the displayed months? If so, those seem to be working correctly on my test computers. Are they not working for you?

Derek wrote:(2) printing: style: monthly. Why layout style is limited to five weeks only? More weeks on a single page would be really usefull! (I often need to print 10-12 weeks on one page).

Thank you for the suggestion. There are a couple reasons why more than 5 weeks aren't shown, the primary reason being there's only so much space for each day, so if the days were further compressed to make space for double the weeks on a page, many events wouldn't have enough space to print in their day block. Even having it limited to 5, sometimes there's not enough space to print all the events in a day if there are more than 5 or 6 events or larger fonts are being used.

For this reason, we offer a number of other print styles in the Pro version. The additional styles are "Yearly", "Details", "Memo", and "Tri-Fold". The Yearly layout prints an entire year on one page, with color-coded dates. The Details style prints event details in rows (which can be configured with various column data, and include any number of weeks) similar to the output of Excel. The Memo style is similar to the print output of email in Outlook, and can also cover any number of days/weeks. And the Tri-Fold layout allows each page to have a combination of 3 different layouts, arranged so the pages can be folded in threes.

If you haven't tried the Pro version yet, to see all the additional printing capabilities it provides, I encourage you to please take a look. It's a free 30 day trial, and you can upgrade from within the Lite version, keeping all your current data. If you decide not to stick with the Pro version, you can always return to the Lite version and not lose any data. The expanded print capabilities are just one of the additional features in the Pro version. There are many, many others!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi Dan,
Thanks for responding so fast, and for welcoming me! Here is clarification:

(1) Let us say that I rebooted my computer today, VueMinder starts and the Desktop Calendar shows 29 Sept rectangle in light grey color (or: it highlights the current day with lighter shade). Other days are in dark grey color. So far so good.

(1b) I leave my computer running, and tomorrow (30th Sep), or precisely at midnight, I would expect the light grey highlight to move to 30th Sep, in sync with my computer changing the date. The VueMinder Desktop Calendar does not change, it will stay on 29th Sep till I reboot my PC again, or till I force it to synchronise with the current day by clicking on the top menu labelled "Today" (in the top row: 'Show Calendar', 'Today', 'Go To Date').

(2) I appreciate your comments re how many weeks to print on one page, but there is a logical inconsistency between print options and the ViewMinder Calendar interface. The Calendar menu allows a user to select and see up to 12 weeks in one window:

View --> Months --> 1 or 2 or 3... up to 12 weeks. Now if I select, say, 12 weeks to be visible in the Calendar (all in one window) I would also expect to be able to print the same 12 weeks on one page. Seems pretty logical to me :)

Cheers, Derek
Derek

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification. It appears the current date isn't refreshing in the desktop calendar (and month view in the main window) when the date changes. If your computer is working the same as mine, after the date changes, the gray block moves when the calendar is clicked or when window needs to refresh for any other reason, like after clicking the Today button. This should be easy to fix, and I expect the next release will contain a correction.

Regarding the ability to print more than 5 weeks in the Monthly layout, there are some other reasons this won't work, but it gets technical. However, I've thought more about how to work around these other limitations, and I believe I can add a capability to print the calendar view as it's currently displayed. So, if you have set the Month view to display 12 weeks, you could print it exactly as it appears on the screen. The size will need to be shrunk to make it all fit on a page, but I think it's do-able. I'll add this to my list of future enhancements. No promises on whether this will make it into the Lite version, but it will definitely be added to the Pro version.

I'll post a response to this thread when the work is completed and a release is available containing this enhancement. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 pm

VueMinder Calendar Pro 5.4.0 has been released. This version contains a new "Calendar View" print style, which will print the calendar exactly as it appears on the screen. For example, if you have 12 weeks displayed in the Month View, all 12 will be printed to a single page. Simply configure the Day, Week, or Month view to display what you'd like to print, click the Print button, and then select the "Calendar View" option from the Print Style drop-down list. Note, this improvement is in the Pro version only.

Also, both the Pro and Lite versions correct the problem with the current date highlight not automatically moving when the date changes.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support