Unable to Connect to Server

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Unable to Connect to Server

Postby Project Manager 29 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 am

The company has purchased VueMinder Ultimate 11 for 9 people.
A VM with Linux OS was built to host MySQL server community.
We added the network segment to the firewall to allow Laptops to communicate to the VM.

During testing phase 1, accounts was created for 2 technicians, we updated to 11.1.3, it worked for 1 person but not the tester.
During testing phase 2, accounts was created for 2 technicians, using 11.1.1, it worked for 1 business tester but the other.

The 2nd business tester received the following message:

---Unable to Connect
A problem occurred while attempting to connect to the server:
Authentication to host 'x.x.x.x' for user 'x' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access
denied for user 'x' @ 'x.x.x.x' (using password: YES)---

We confirmed that business tester is on the correct network segment, confirmed laptop name, user account and changed password.

Same error message occurs.

I searched forums, is their an existing answer or can direct us on how to resolve?

Project Manager 29
Project Manager 29

Re: Unable to Connect to Server

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Project Manager 29, welcome to the forums. The error message you're seeing is usually caused by an incorrect username or password. It sounds like you've already confirmed the correct login information has been specified, so there might be something else related to the server configuration which is causing the problem.

The MySQL Server documentation has a page on possible causes for access-denied errors and how to fix them:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/ ... enied.html

It's odd that it works for one person but not another. Another thing you could try, which might help narrow down the problem, would be to enter the connection information for the user that worked, on the computer where it wasn't working previously. If it still doesn't work, then there could be a firewall issue where the computer is being blocked from accessing the server.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Joerg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:20 am

Hi Dan,

Have you any new workarounds for this old issue described by Project Manager 29? We experience the same problmen right now.

From my computer I'm able to successfully connect to MySQL database situated on another computer in the same network. But another user is not able to connect from its computer with its username and password. The SQL Server returns always:

---Unable to Connect
A problem occurred while attempting to connect to the server:
Authentication to host 'x.x.x.x' for user 'x' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access
denied for user 'x' @ 'x.x.x.x' (using password: YES)---

What we already tried:
Login with my username / password from the other user's computer works fine.
Login with his username / password on my computer doesn't work.

That's why we assume it's not a firewall problem on a user computer but a problem with user privileges within the MySQL database. But I have also deleted the other user account again and created it new - no effect. Then I gave the other user full DBA privileges - no effect.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Joerg

edit:
MySQL Server 5.7, Notifier 1.1.6, Workbench 6.3, VueMinder Ultimate 2016.07 Trial
Joerg

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Joerg, in MySQL Workbench, make sure the user account's "From Host" value is set to "%".
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Joerg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Dan, the value is set to % for each user. Noteworthy is that my working MySQL account (administrator account) has been created when setup the MySQL during the setup routine while all aother users have been created later within the workbench.
Joerg

Postby MarionS » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:08 pm

I set up 2 users during server setup. Both connected fin.

Set up third user through the work bench. Kept getting error as you are describing. I went into the Administrative Roles Tab of the none connecting user and checked the boxes manually. Retried log in and worked fine.

Might be something to check.
MarionS

Postby Joerg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 am

Hi Guys,
I have solved it. The problem was that the database is running on an english system (set to english language) while our user's computers are german systems. Further there is only a german keyboard connected to the database machine.
One difference (beside others) between english and german keyboard layout are the exchanged "y" and "z" keys.
Unfortunately both test user passwords, which I have created, have an "y" inside. But because the password is masked ("****"), I was not able to recognize my wrong input. Now I have typed "z" instead of an "y" - and it works. :geek: :idea: :geek:
Joerg

Postby VueSoft » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi Joerg, thanks for the information. I never would have guessed that was the problem. Now I'll know this is something to check for, in case anyone else reports this problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support