Task entry slowdown in version 5.3.1

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Task entry slowdown in version 5.3.1

Postby gjbth » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:00 am

Dan, since updating to version 5.3.1, I have noticed a substantial slowdown in task and event entry.

When I enter a new event or task, from clicking the OK button it now takes 8 seconds for the event editor window to exit and the event to appear in the calendar.

It taker the same 8 seconds to delete an event.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Re: Task entry slowdown in version 5.3.1

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Thank you for letting me know about the problem. I can't think of anything that specifically changed in 5.3.1 that would cause this, and haven't seen any decrease in performance on my test computers.

The only thing I can think of that might cause this is if you have the Event List set to display a large date range and have many events or tasks listed. If you change the date range to be the current week or month, or if you turn off the Event List altogether, does the performance improve?

I'm working on some other improvements to the Event List for the next release. I'll see if I can also improve it's performance when many events are listed.

If the Event List doesn't seem related to the performance problem, please let me know. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Dan, I have set the event list to show only 'Today' and I still get this eight second lag before the evnet is entered or deleted. Only with version 5.3.1

Best regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Have you tried going back to 5.3.0, and do you still see the same slowdown? I've searched through the changes that went into 5.3.1, and I still haven't found anything that I think would cause what you're seeing. It's also possible reinstalling 5.3.1 could fix the problem.

Have you recently changed the location where data is saved (via the Program Options window), maybe to a network drive? Whenever an event is added or deleted, the calendar data automatically saves. It's possible if you're saving over a network, it could be slower.

Have you installed any new anti-virus software, or made any other recent changes to you system configuration?

Have you added any new calendars, or defined a lot of new events since 5.3.0? If you have several calendars with a few thousand events each, that might also explain the slower performance. If that's the case, I could change the program to autosave less frequently, or make it an option.

If you'd prefer to take this offline, you can email me at support@vuesoftsite.com.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:48 am

Have you tried going back to 5.3.0, and do you still see the same slowdown? I've searched through the changes that went into 5.3.1, and I still haven't found anything that I think would cause what you're seeing. It's also possible reinstalling 5.3.1 could fix the problem.

** I did try 5.3.0 again, and had no slowdown problem. I completely uninstalled all traces of Vueminder, then re-installed 5.3.1 and the slowdown problem has gone. :D :D i originally installed 5.3.1 over an existing 5.3.0 installation.**

Have you recently changed the location where data is saved (via the Program Options window), maybe to a network drive? Whenever an event is added or deleted, the calendar data automatically saves. It's possible if you're saving over a network, it could be slower.

** No changes there**

Have you installed any new anti-virus software, or made any other recent changes to you system configuration?

**No new anti virus software**

Have you added any new calendars, or defined a lot of new events since 5.3.0? If you have several calendars with a few thousand events each, that might also explain the slower performance. If that's the case, I could change the program to autosave less frequently, or make it an option.

** No new calendars added, being able to set the interval publishing calendars would be good though. Letting the user choose the interval in minutes might be a good idea.**

**It seems like the problem was due to my upgrading an existing installation of Vueminder, maybe I managed to corrupt something during the process.**

Thanks again Dan.

Best Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Return to Technical Support