Archiving

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Archiving

Postby kp.tame@virgin.net » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 pm

I can't find an archiving command.

Is there one? Or alternatively, is there a good way to save data from previous years?

Many thanks.
kp.tame@virgin.net

Re: Archiving

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:46 pm

When you say archive, do you mean you want to save off events from previous years into a file, so those events can be removed from the calendar? Or do you want to save all the data to an archive but still continue seeing it on the calendar?

If I understand what you're asking, there's currently no feature provided for this. There are some things that are close, like the "Backup or Restore Data" command from the File menu, but it doesn't accept a date range - it just backs up everything. There's also the "Export to Excel" command, which takes a date range but requires you have Excel installed. Neither of these will actually remove the data after it has been backed up or exported.

Do either of these do what you're looking for? If not, can you clarify how you'd want it to work? It's possible this is a feature that could be added. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby kp.tame@virgin.net » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi Dan

I'm using my calendar as a daily journal, so the file is getting larger and larger.

I'd like to archive data for set periods, probably a year at a time, and remove them from the main calendar. But ideally having the facility to restore the data to the calendar for viewing if required.

Thanks
Kim
kp.tame@virgin.net

Postby VueSoft » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification. This is a good idea, and one we'll work on adding in the future. In the meantime, you can manually archive your data by doing the following. Note, before you do this, it would be a good idea to backup your data first using the "Backup or Restore Data" command from the File menu.

1. First, export each of the calendars you'd like to archive, in their entirety. To do this. select the Export -> To ICS command from the File menu.

2. Select a calendar to export from the "Export calendar" list. Make sure the first 2 checkboxes for exporting event actions and appearances are checked, but the last one for excluding older events is not checked. Enter a destination file name, wherever you'd like to keep the archived calendars. Then, click the Export button. Repeat this step for each calendar, making sure to change the file name each time. When done, you'll have exported your calendars with all events.

3. Next, from the Calendar List, delete each of the calendars you exported. This is why I recommended backing up your data first!

4. Now, go to the File menu and select the Import -> From ICS command. Browse to each of the files previously exported, and make sure the destination calendar is correct. All 4 checkboxes will need to be checked. For the last checkbox, enter a number of days in the past that older events should not be imported. For example, if you enter 30, then events older than 30 days will not be imported, and will not be cluttering up your calendar and making your data larger than needed. Note, recurring events that started more than 30 days in the past, but have future occurrences, will not be excluded.

5. Click the Import button. Repeat this for each of the calendars previously exported. When completed, your data should be significantly smaller. If you ever need to restore older events, it's just a matter of importing the calendar and either unchecking the last checkbox, or selecting a larger value.

I know this is not as streamlined as it could be, and will work to improve this, maybe providing some type of auto-archive feature like in Outlook. But, in the meantime, I believe the steps described above should accomplish what you're looking for. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support