New Installation, All Data Lost!

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

New Installation, All Data Lost!

Postby HarshMelon » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:15 am

I just downloaded the trial version last night and spent about an hour setting up my entire schedule. When I turned on my PC this morning, VueMinder fired up, but all of my events were missing!

My color theme remained the same, as did the window configuration I'd created. The calendar I created is also still in the calendar list. But my events are gone.

Does the trial version not save events?

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: New Installation, All Data Lost!

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi HarshMelon, welcome to the forums!

The behavior you describe is not what is expected. The trial version is functionally identical to the full version, and there's no restriction on saving data.

VueMinder should be autosaving whenever a change is made, like a new event being created. It also saves your data upon exit, and makes several automatic backup copies of the data as well. When it restarts, it tries to load the file that was saved upon exit. If that fails, it tries to load the autosave file. And if that fails, and there are backup copies of the data, it tries to load those. There are about 4 levels of data redundancy that need to fail before VueMinder finally gives up and starts without showing any calendar data. I believe it should also present you with a message if this happens. Did you see any message like this, saying the calendar data could not be loaded?

Could you try something for me? Start VueMinder, create a single event, and then exit VueMinder via the 'Exit' command from the right-click menu of the task tray icon. Then, restart VueMinder and check if the event is present. If not, then it sounds like there might be a problem with saving to your application data directory, which is the default location. Go to the Options menu, and click 'Program'. Try changing the data location path to somewhere else, like in your 'My Documents' folder. Then, repeat the test. If it still doesn't work, try browsing (via Windows Explorer) into the path that is specified for the prgoram data, and check if a file named 'CalendarInfo.bin' is present.

I'm not sure what would be causing this. It's not something I've ever seen, or that has been reported, but we'll get to the bottom of it!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Dan Chartrand

Re: New Installation, All Data Lost!

Postby HarshMelon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:13 pm

I have not had any problems since that first day. Here's what I think happened:

I had "my" calendar open, along with the US Holiday calendar. I think I entered my events on the Holiday calendar by accident. Then, when I tried to reopen my calendar, they were gone.

Everything is good now :D

Return to Technical Support