Repeating tasks question

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Repeating tasks question

Postby fifer43 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I have a few repeating tasks that repeat on the same date in each month - usually paying a bill. I have marked the tasks as repeating, and indicated that the next due date should be based on the previous due date. If I complete the task ahead of the due date, then mark it as complete, why does that task then not show up for the next month? If I indicate that I want the next due date to be based on the previous completion date, then the task shows up for the next month, but with an incorrect due date. This seems wrong to me. If I mark a task as complete, then it should show up for the next month with the correct due date, not the date the previous month's task was completed. Have I missed something here, or is this expected behaviour? If it is expected, can it be changed so that it works correctly (at least in my opinion)?
fifer43

Re: Repeating tasks question

Postby VueSoft » Thu May 16, 2013 12:17 am

Hi fifer43, when a task repeats based on the original due date, and the task is marked completed before it's due, you should see the next task get added to the calendar based on an offset from the due date of the completed task.

For example, I just defined a task on May 22 that repeats every 1 month using the due date. When I marked the May 22 task as completed, the next task was added to the calendar on June 22 - which is what I would expect to happen. I marked the June 22 task as completed, and the next one was added on July 22. I couldn't get it to break.

Can you open your task and double-check the "Calculate next due date using" value is set to "Previous due date"? The behavior you describe should only happen if it's set to "Previous completion date".
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby fifer43 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 am

As I indicated in my initial post, the tasks were marked as "Previous due date", and they did not show up for the next month when marked as completed. When I changed them to "Previous completion date" they did show up, but for the wrong due date, as would be expected. I then changed them back to "Previous due date" and they (the next month's tasks) now show up in my month view, but oddly, not in my tasks view!
A second issue is that no completed tasks show up in the tasks list or in month view, even with "Show completed tasks" checked. I can still see these completed tasks in my Google calendar. I have set up a 2-way sync with Google calendar.
fifer43

Postby fifer43 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 pm

One problem solved!
The future tasks now show up when I changed the date range to 90 days - they were too far ahead to show.
The second problem still exists - I cannot view completed tasks.
fifer43

Postby VueSoft » Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi fifer43, there appears to be an intermittent bug in the Task List with completed tasks not appearing. I'm working on a correction for the next version and will post a reply when it's ready.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby fifer43 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:25 am

OK thanks - happy to hear that it wasn't just me!
Really like VM, and still learning all the things it can do.
fifer43

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 am

Version 2016.08 includes many corrections related to the task list, including corrections for intermittent problems with the list not refreshing. To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support