Publishing via SSL

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Publishing via SSL

Postby ChuckS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:06 am

I'm a new user trying VM Pro. This calendar seems perfect for me except for one issue - which unfortunately is a deal breaker.

When publishing to Google calendar, VM tries to connect via SSL. All attempts fail. I can subscribe to all calendars OK.

I use Hughsnet satellite service (only access available) which is very slow (slower than dial-up) on SSL connections. I can connect via SSL on other sites at painfully slow rates.

I can edit Google cal directly without SSL thru Firefox. Is there a way to turn SSL off in VM?

WinXP SP3 up to date, VM 5.1.1
ChuckS

Re: Publishing via SSL

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Welcome to the forums, ChuckS. There is currently no way to disable SSL. However, this is certainly something we can provide. An option will be added to the next release to connect without using SSL.

However, I'm not sure that will solve the problem you're seeing when attempting to publish to Google Calendar. This is not something VueMinder can do (yet). It can publish to iCalendar hosts, but Google behaves differently than a normal iCalendar host, and requires calendar synchronization to go through some additional hoops that we haven't implemented yet. Subscriptions will work without issue, but publishing won't. We're working on adding this capability for a future release, but it's not ready yet.

In the meantime, you could publish to a iCalendar host, such as icalx.com, and setup Google Calendar to subscribe to that host.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby ChuckS » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try your suggestion.
ChuckS

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Version 5.2.0 adds an option to not use SSL when subscribing or publishing calendars. This option can be found in the Authentication area of the subscription or publication settings for a calendar.

By default, SSL will continue to be used when available. However, by unchecking the new "Use SSL" setting, you can override this behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support