Pop-up reminders failed

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Pop-up reminders failed

Postby Boopsie200 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Reminders have failed to pop up for three events this month. I don't see anyone else on this forum with the same problem; it must be something I'm doing. Does it confuse VueMinder when I open 'this occurrence' and mark it 'completed' prior to the reminder time? I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what's wrong, and that's the only possibility I've found. Each of the failures was for a recurring event, and it's likely that I marked each 'completed' ahead of time in the previous month in order to prevent the reminder from popping up -- but I'm sure I was in 'this occurrence' when I did that.

There are two events (bill payments) in the last week of August that I have completed today. I noted that after I opened 'this occurrence' and checked 'complete,' the balloon tooltip still indicated that a reminder would pop up on [date].

For now, I am just going to un-check the reminder in 'this occurrence' as well as to enter a note in the description when I have completed an event ahead of time. If you know of anything else that could be interfering with my reminders, please let me know.

P.S. I'm not using desktop reminders.
Boopsie200

Re: Pop-up reminders failed

Postby VueSoft » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:37 pm

By default, VueMinder won't show reminders for an event (or an occurrence of an event series) if it has been marked as completed. I believe this is the behavior you're seeing, based on what you've described. To change this, you can uncheck the "Don't show reminders for completed events" option, in the Reminder Options window.

As for the tooltip showing that a reminder will be displayed for a completed occurrence, this sounds like a bug. The reminder would only appear if the option mentioned above to disable reminders for completed events is unchecked. However, the part of the software that is setting the contents of the tooltip is ignoring this option. I will correct this in the next release. I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for letting me know about the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Boopsie200 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:26 am

Apparently that is not what is causing my reminder failures after all. I did a test: I entered a new recurring event starting July 14 12:00 p.m. with a pop-up reminder 1 day before. The reminder immediately popped up informing me the event was 4.3 weeks overdue. I dismissed that reminder. It is 12:26 p.m. on August 13 as I write this, and no reminder has popped up for tomorrow--even though the balloon tool tip shows that 'Popup reminder will be displayed Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:00 P.M.'

Do you suppose I could fix this by uninstallling and reinstalling VueMinder?

I apologize for starting this thread under your Suggestions topic--don't know how that happened. Maybe you can move it.
Boopsie200

Postby VueSoft » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I've replicated the behavior you've described. I'm not sure what is causing this, because I'm sure it was working in a previous version. Regardless, I'll work on fixing this for the next release. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Version 5.2.0 has been released, and includes a correction for this problem. Reminders should always appear when expected in this latest version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support