Importing Ical files

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Importing Ical files

Postby gjbth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am

If I import an Ical file into an existing calendar file it deletes all the existing events and the calendar file then only contains the events which existed in the imported Ical file.

Is this normal, I expected the events in the imported Ical file to be appended to the existing events in the original calendar file.

I know you are on vacation, so I dont expect an immediate answer. You are supposed to be having a break.

Best regards

gbth
gjbth

Re: Importing Ical files

Postby VueSoft » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Yes, this is the current behavior. The intent is that after importing, the destination calendar's contents will match the contents of the ICS file, exactly.

However, I can see where there may be cases when this behavior is undesirable, so I'll work on improving this for the next release, either by adding an import option, or by displaying a dialog after the import is completed, listing the events that weren't found in the ICS file and allowing those to be selectively deleted.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Version 5.2.0 has just been released. This version will display a window when importing an ICS file into a calendar that has existing events. You can selectively pick and choose which (if any) existing events should be deleted or overwritten with events from the ICS file.

You can read more about this new window in the updated help documentation.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gjbth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:52 am

:D Great stuff Dan, excellent support as usual

Best regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby gjbth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Dan, maybe an idea for a future version, the new import window could have two panes. One pane with the events in the existing ical file, the second pane displaying the events in the ical file being imported. The user could then select the events he or she wishes to keep/delete from the original file and pick and choose only the events required from the imported file.

or maybe this could be a totally new option maybe called selective merge.

Bets Regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add this to my list of future improvements. Please let me know if you think of any others. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support