slow to load

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

slow to load

Postby Merlin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:03 am

Hi. I'm trying out VueMinder and I really like it.
A significant problem, though.
I followed your recommendations regarding the slow load times, and the only one that I can find is not having the desktop calendar on.
It's still very slow to load, taking over 10 seconds.
I have a relatively recent system (Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz, 4 GB RAM, nVidia 8800 graphics card) so I don't know what the problem is.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Merlin

Re: slow to load

Postby VueSoft » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi Merlin, welcom to the forums!

I've tested load times on a Intel Core2 Duo 6420, running Vista, and with similar graphics card and RAM specs. It usually takes around 8 seconds to load. It's possible that if you're loading at startup, it could be slower due to the CPU being used to load other applications. If you're also running a virus scanner with on-access scanning enabled, that could further slow down the load time.

The suggestions I believe you are referring to (in the FAQ) are for improving run-time performance after the program is running. For example, if it seems to take a long time to load the event editor. Given your system specs, you shouldn't be seeing any delays, or only very minor ones, after the program has loaded. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done, (as a user) to reduce the initial loading time.

However, I've done some more research on decreasing .NET application load times, and I believe I've found a solution! I just completed an initial prototype, and the load time went from 8 seconds down to 3 seconds on my computer. There's barely time for the splash screen to display before the main window is shown, which is a big improvement. I think with some other minor tweaks, I can make it load even faster. Run-time performance also seems a lot "zippier", but I don't have any time measurements. The only downside is that it will add about 20 seconds to the time it takes to install the program, but I think the reduced load times and faster run-time performance will more than make up for that.

This improvement will be in the next release. I need to do some more testing to ensure this doesn't break any existing functionality, especially in regard to Outlook and Excel integration. I'll post a reply to this thread when the new release ready. Thanks again for your feedback, and I hope you're otherwise enjoying the program!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Merlin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Dan.
Thanks for the reply!
I wasn't loading at startup, so it was just VueMinder alone that was loading.
It seems you're getting similar load times, so it isn't something specific to my system.
I don't think longer install times will be an issue if you can cut load times to less than 3 seconds, but I would recommend having a status bar on install or we might think the install locked up.
I'll keep an eye on the forum to see when future releases might have an effect.
Thanks again!
Merlin

Postby gjbth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:58 pm

hello, Merlin.

Apologies for joining your thread.

My load up times are consistent with yours, so I don't think there's a problem with your installation.

It doesn't really bother me so much as I load Vueminder at startup and its runs constantly all the time the PC's switched on.

Dan, I don't think 20 seconds on the install time would bother anyone, certainly not me. But the speed increase would be most welcome.

Best regards

gjbth
gjbth

Postby VueSoft » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:14 pm

A new version has been released (5.1.1). This version contains the improvements to load times I had mentioned previously. It should load about 50 to 60% faster than before, and you may also notice run-time performance is improved. Enjoy!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Merlin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks Dan.
I'll give it a try.
Merlin

Postby bthewolf » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:02 am

I downloaded 5.1.1 this morning, and now I get a long list of fatal errors, and Vueminder Lite will not load.
bthewolf

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for letting me know about the problem. To determine what is causing this, I'll need some more info:
- Did it install correctly without giving errors?
- What do the error messages say, and when do they appear (like before the splash screen, or after)?
- Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling?
- Did you have a previous version installed, or running when the latest was installed?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby bthewolf » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:01 pm

I had to send a screen capture to the site support email address, in a Word Doc. Hopefully that'll help.

da3moosekiteers is the addressee.

I had 5.0.0 installed, and it was not running at the time of the download. When it got done with the download and tried to open the new instance I got the message.
bthewolf

Postby VueSoft » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Based on the error message ("Configuration system failed to initialize"), it sounds like there's a problem with the application's configuration file. To correct this, go to the following directory:

On Win XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Local Settings\Application Data\VueSoft

On Vista:
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\VueSoft

Note this directory is hidden, so you'll need to enable the display of hidden folders first, if you haven't already.

You'll see some directories with names like "Vueminder.exe_Url_xrl0wik50dbdbdtxsdlmrgeqk5atdgqg". Delete all these directories except the one named VueMinder, which contains your calendar and task data. The other directories contain options and configuration settings, which sound like they became corrupted after the upgrade. Deleting these directories should allow VueMinder to start without error.

Hopefully this works. Please let me know if you still see the error after deleting these folders.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Next

Return to Technical Support