Unable to connect to SQL server

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Unable to connect to SQL server

Postby gmh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 am

I own a calendar (which I operate on my PC) which my husband shares.
Suddenly after working perfectly for years his calendar no longer shows what I have updated on the calendar on my PC.
Now on his PC he gets the message: "Server is offline. Click to reconnect"
When he clicks he gets the message: Unable to Connect. A problem occurred while attempting to connect to the server. Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts"
What do we do to rectify this?
gmh

Re: Unable to connect to SQL server

Postby VueSoft » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi gmh, is MySQL Server still running on the computer where it was installed? Try rebooting that computer. MySQL Server should automatically start. You can also check the status of MySQL Server via the "MySQL Notifier" icon in the notification area.

If MySQL Server is running but you're still unable to connect, has anything changed recently - maybe an update to your security/firewall software? You might need to modify your firewall settings to allow TCP/IP traffic on port 3306. The page linked below provides more detail:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php#troubleshooting
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gmh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 am

Hi Dan
I have tried restarting both PCs. My PC connects OK to the SQL server. We use Norton Security and its firewall is set to allow SQL on my PC. Can I assume that SQL is only set up on my PC? On my husband's PC he does not have it in his programs. If I go to "sharing" in Vueminder on my husband's PC and try putting in the password that does not help (presumably because it can't link to SQL server in the first place). As far as I know nothing has changed recently on either PC. We have no other problems with any other program.
gmh

Postby VueSoft » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi gmh, you don't need to install MySQL Server on each computer. It should only be running on one computer, so a common database is used for sharing calendar data between computers. That being said, I have no idea why you're no longer able to connect from your husband's computer. Are you able to connect using your own username/password on your husband's computer? If so, that would narrow the problem down to being something related to your husband's MySQL account, not a network issue.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gmh » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:45 am

Hi Dan
No - as I said we get the following messages when trying to connect from his PC.
"Server is offline. Click to reconnect"
When he clicks he gets the message: Unable to Connect. A problem occurred while attempting to connect to the server. Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts"
So all he gets is the calendar as it was before any recent updates to my calendar on my PC. No link to the latest on my PC via the SQL Server.
thanks for your continued support.
gmh
gmh

Postby VueSoft » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Thank you for the information. Did the name of computer that is running MySQL Server get changed? Please open the Sharing Options and make sure the computer name is still correct. Also, open a command prompt and type "ping xxx", where xxx is the computer name that was entered in the Sharing Options. Do you get a response?

It’s possible reinstalling MySQL Server will fix the problem. If you’d like to reinstall MySQL Server, here are the steps:

1. On a computer that can successfully connect and “owns” the shared calendars, open the Calendar Properties of each calendar and check the “Do not sync” box. Also open the Sharing Options and clear out the hostname, username, and password.
2. Exit VueMinder on all computers by using the File -> Exit menu command.
3. Uninstall MySQL Server. You can use the Control Panel to uninstall.
4. Re-install MySQL Server. Instructions can be found on the page linked below.
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
5. Open the Sharing Options and enter the name of the computer where MySQL Server was installed. Also enter your MySQL username and password. Repeat on your other computers.
6. Open the Calendar Properties of each calendar on your computer and re-enable sharing by checking the “Share with VueMinder on other computers” box.
7. Click OK. The calendar should be added to the new MySQL Server instance, and should then appear on your other computers.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If that still doesn't work, there’s an alternative to syncing through MySQL Server. Please try these steps:

1. Create a shared folder that all computers on your network can access. If you’re not sure how to share a folder, please see the page linked below:
http://www.windows10compatible.com/blog ... indows-10/
2. In VueMinder, double-click the name of the calendar you’d like to share. The Calendar Properties will open.
3. Click the “Sync” tab on the Calendar Properties window.
4. Check “Sync with file or URL (2-way)”.
5. Click the “…” button on the right side of the “Sync with file or URL” text field.
6. Browse to the shared folder that was created in step 1. Type a file name (with .ics extension) and click “Save”.
7. Click the OK button. The calendar will sync. This might take a few seconds.
8. On your other computer, click the “File -> Add Calendar -> Add Calendar Subscription”.
9. Click the “…” button on the right side of the file location text field.
10. Browse to the shared folder, select the ICS file, and click the “Open” button.
11. Click OK. The calendar will sync. This might take a few seconds.
12. Open the Calendar Properties by double-clicking the calendar’s name.
13. Click the “Sync” tab and check the box labeled “Sync with file or URL (2-way)”.
14. Click the OK button. The calendar will now sync in both directions, so you can make changes on either computer.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gmh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Dan
I have found another problem (or the root of the sharing problem). When I went to carry out your instructions I did not see the Do Not Sync box in the Calendar Properties.
We only have one calendar, which is based on my PC. BUT Calendar Properties says:
"this is a shared calendar owned by gerd. You are a contributor and can add, modify or delete events"
(the same as the message on my husband's PC calendar). So neither of us is the real owner??? HELP
gmh

Postby VueSoft » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Open the Sharing Options. Change the username to "gerd" and enter the correct password. You should then be able to access the Sync tab on the Calendar Properties window.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby gmh » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Dan
Changing username to gerd resulted in my failing to connect to the SQL Server. Going back what it was enabled me to connect again so that doesn't seem to work. I am now off for a week's holiday so can't try out any more suggestions from you until I return. thanks. gmh
gmh

Postby VueSoft » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Connect to the server using MySQL Workbench and make sure the user named "gerd" is still defined and can access from any host (using the % wildcard). Also reset the password. After doing this, try entering that username and password in the Sharing Options of VueMinder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support