How can I make the reminder window not always on top?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

How can I make the reminder window not always on top?

Postby programcsharp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm

The reminders list window floats above _everything_. So if I open an event, it's hidden behind the reminder window and there's no way to get at it. If the event pops up a message box, that goes directly behind the reminders list and there is no way to recover except to terminate the application in task manager and restart it.
programcsharp

Re: How can I make the reminder window not always on top?

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi programcsharp, welcome to the forums. To prevent the popup reminder window from appearing above all other windows, click the "Options -> Reminders" menu command and uncheck the box labeled "Always on top". Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby programcsharp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Sure enough it does! Didn't notice that little guy sitting over there... :lol:

Might I recommend making "off" the default for new installs? I almost got fed up with the system and uninstalled it, but being a programmer myself I figured there should be a toggle somewhere to fix ;)
programcsharp

Postby VueSoft » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi programcsharp, thanks for the feedback. I'll change the default in the next version. I'll also add an Options button to the popup reminder window, to help make it easier to find the related settings.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby programcsharp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 am

Great support! Just purchased a lifetime license :D

Here are a couple of other observations from the view of a new user, not maybe something to fix, but a different point of view:
  • I've got 4 different Google calendar accounts so I had to figure out how to upgrade them all and share with a single account and then connect to VueMinder from there. Worked, but it'd be nicer to hook into each account separately
  • I somehow created all of those calendars with a default set to no reminders. Not sure if that was my fault, but it took me awhile to figure out and I was only able to fix it by clicking in to each calendar and changing the default one by one and then clicking into each event and changing the reminder there one by one as well. Didn't find a bulk update for either of those, maybe I missed that too :mrgreen:
  • Seems far to click "New Event" in the app and New Calendar is first which is something I use much less frequently. I think I see why which is because the same menu is used in the taskbar and in that location New Event is right there by the mouse in the middle, but not in the app.
  • Any way to make Description the default tab shown on new Event? I don't really care about the reminder as long as its set, but I often put a description in with meeting info etc so every time I go a new event I have to switch tab to put in the description.
programcsharp

Postby VueSoft » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 am

Hi programcsharp, thank you for your purchase and feedback.

I've got 4 different Google calendar accounts so I had to figure out how to upgrade them all and share with a single account and then connect to VueMinder from there. Worked, but it'd be nicer to hook into each account separately

I'm planning to add the ability to sync directly with multiple Google accounts. Unfortunately, this will break VueMinder's backward-compatibility with Windows XP (because .NET 4.6 or later will be needed), so I haven't done it yet.

I somehow created all of those calendars with a default set to no reminders. Not sure if that was my fault, but it took me awhile to figure out and I was only able to fix it by clicking in to each calendar and changing the default one by one and then clicking into each event and changing the reminder there one by one as well. Didn't find a bulk update for either of those, maybe I missed that too

There's a setting in the initial Configuration Wizard for defining the default reminder on events, but it's probably not as obvious as it should be. I'll think about options for improving this.

Seems far to click "New Event" in the app and New Calendar is first which is something I use much less frequently. I think I see why which is because the same menu is used in the taskbar and in that location New Event is right there by the mouse in the middle, but not in the app.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll think about redesigning the menu. In the meantime, you can press Ctrl+N as a shortcut. You can also customize the menus and toolbars...
1. Right-click and empty area on the menu bar and select "Customize".
2. While the Customize window is open, click the "File" menu and drag-and-drop the menu commands into the desired positions.
3. Close the Customize window when finished. VueMinder will save your customizations.

Any way to make Description the default tab shown on new Event? I don't really care about the reminder as long as its set, but I often put a description in with meeting info etc so every time I go a new event I have to switch tab to put in the description.

If there's any text entered in the description, the Description tab should be the default. If you've saved a new event without a description, but with a reminder, then the Reminder tab will be the default because it's the only one that has "something" to show. I'll consider adding an advanced option to override this behavior.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby programcsharp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:13 am

Sweet!

If there's any text entered in the description, the Description tab should be the default.

Well I'm talking about when creating a new event. There's nothing in description when I hit Ctrl+N so it goes to the reminders tab. I don't really care about the reminders as long as my defaults are honored, but it's an extra click to go to the description tab and paste that in on new events.

Also if I open an event from the reminders box it goes to the reminders tab even if there is a description. I just saw the reminder, so I don't care about it there -- I clicked on the event to see the description.

And while I'm wishing, would it be possible to right click on the reminder in the reminders list to dismiss it? Sometimes I want to dismiss just one and I'm worried I don't have the right one selected if I see that faint selection outline and then go click Dismiss.
programcsharp

Postby VueSoft » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Well I'm talking about when creating a new event. There's nothing in description when I hit Ctrl+N so it goes to the reminders tab. I don't really care about the reminders as long as my defaults are honored, but it's an extra click to go to the description tab and paste that in on new events.

Did you define a default reminder in the Calendar Properties? If so, the Reminders tab would be the default when creating a new event. Otherwise, the Description tab should be the default. I agree it doesn't make sense to default to the Reminders tab when creating a new event (especially if a default reminder has already been configured and doesn't need to be set). I'll fix this in the next release, so the Description tab will always be the default when creating a new event.

Also if I open an event from the reminders box it goes to the reminders tab even if there is a description. I just saw the reminder, so I don't care about it there -- I clicked on the event to see the description.

I'll also fix this in the next version.

And while I'm wishing, would it be possible to right click on the reminder in the reminders list to dismiss it? Sometimes I want to dismiss just one and I'm worried I don't have the right one selected if I see that faint selection outline and then go click Dismiss.

A context menu would be easy to add. I'll work on it for the next release.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby VueSoft » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm

The reminders list window floats above _everything_. So if I open an event, it's hidden behind the reminder window and there's no way to get at it. If the event pops up a message box, that goes directly behind the reminders list and there is no way to recover except to terminate the application in task manager and restart it.

The popup reminder will not default to being the top-most window on new installations. On previous installations, this can be changed by opening the Reminder Options (via the Options menu) and unchecking the box labeled "Always on top".

Seems far to click "New Event" in the app and New Calendar is first which is something I use much less frequently. I think I see why which is because the same menu is used in the taskbar and in that location New Event is right there by the mouse in the middle, but not in the app.

The File->New menu has been re-arranged in version 2018.01 so the option for creating a new event will be listed first.

Any way to make Description the default tab shown on new Event? I don't really care about the reminder as long as its set, but I often put a description in with meeting info etc so every time I go a new event I have to switch tab to put in the description.

Version 2018.01 has been updated to make the Description tab the default in most cases.

The popup reminder window has been improved in version 2018.01 to include a right-click context menu for reminder rows. The menu provides options to open, delete, snooze, and dismiss.

To update to version 2018.01, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support