Syncing Custom Event Fields with Google Calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.

Syncing Custom Event Fields with Google Calendar

Postby Dbesley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 am

Hi team,

I have multiple Google calendars and three VueMinder Ultimate licences that sync up with these.

I have added Custom Event Fields to the calendars from one of the running VueMinder apps. This works successfully.

The manual says "Custom data can be imported/exported, published/subscribed, synced with other VueMinder installations through Google Calendar, and.."

I was unsure of this because I thought custom fields would be local to an installation, but the manual suggests not and perhaps they are part of the Google API function? (that's actually a question :-) ).

In my case, the customer fields are not being passed to the other VueMinder installations in the sync (which is what I want).

Anyone help here?

Thanks and Regards
DeanB

PS love this product :-)
Dbesley

Re: Syncing Custom Event Fields with Google Calendar

Postby VueSoft » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi DeanB, welcome to the forums. Custom fields can be shared with other VueMinder installations, but not by syncing with Google Calendar alone. Basically, you'd need to install MySQL Server on one of your connected computers and then configure each VueMinder installation to connect to MySQL Server for sharing custom field definitions. instructions can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

You don't need to configure your existing calendars to be shared through MySQL Server. You can continue syncing the calendars through Google Calendar. The only thing MySQL Server would be used for is syncing the custom field definitions. You should then see the same custom data on your other VueMinder installations.

Another (low tech) option would be to open the VueMinder data folder (the location can be found in the Program Options) on the computer where the correct custom fields are displayed. Within that folder, there's a file named "CustomFields.bin". Copy that file to the data folder on your other VueMinder installations, replacing the existing file. Make sure to exit VueMinder prior to copying the file. When you restart VueMinder, you should see the same custom field definitions and custom data within events. However, if you create any new custom field definitions (via the Tools menu), you won't see the new fields on your other computers. You'd need to re-copy the file. Going through MySQL Server is the preferred approach.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Better Software. Better Living.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Dbesley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am

Hi Dan,

Need a bit of support mate.

I have successfully configured the MySQL server, and am now syncing with both Google Calendars and MySQL locally.
However whenever I put an event on, it triplicates on all machines. I believe this has something to do with the way I have all the computers syncing with both the Google Calendars and the MySQL with the same incorrect configuration.

Our setup is:

1. Main Server on LAN
- VueMinder and MySQL installed successfully
- Options: Calendar Sharing Settings: All Local Network settings are ticked except "Check Event completion status"
- Calendar Properties Sync Options: "Sync with Google Calendar" AND "Share with VueMinder on other Computers - all as Contributor" selected
- NOTE the Google Calendar sync has the local compute name selected (should it? Cant find any support in the Help on this)
- We have Custom fields for Events which we want common across all computers as we do Category and Priorities
2. Extra Computer on LAN
- Same as above
3. Laptop - Roving, sometime on LAN sometimes in Wifi on public network
- same setup as above

I am not sure if only one computer should be synced with Google and the other LAN one should only sync via MySQL. Question here is, what to do with the laptop? I thought maybe I was looking for an option to only sync custom fields via MySQL but I cant see where.

So, to be clear:
- Need all machines to be read/write for all the Google Calendars
- Need the custom fields and their data to be synced across all machines
- Need Categories and Priorities to be synced across all machines

Hope this all makes sense and you can guide me a little .

Thanks and Regs
DeanB
Dbesley

Postby VueSoft » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi DeanB, are you running the latest version (2017.04) on all computers? The problem you describe sounds like something that (I thought) has been fixed.

If you're already using the latest version, please change how the calendar syncs so only one computer syncs the calendar with Google Calendar. If multiple computers are configured to sync the locally shared calendar with Google Calendar, that would definitely cause issues. The latest version has a field on the Sync tab to specify which computer is responsible for syncing with Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Postby Dbesley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks Dan

- Yep, we are using the latest calendar.
- I thought it maybe the multiple sync points causing the problem.
- How does this work with the roaming laptop?
If it is away from the Local Network and updates are made to the calendars (and it NOT setup to auto sync with Google direct as suggested) does it store the changes locally and then sync them with the main Google synced PC when it is back on the LAN?

Regs
DeanB
Dbesley

Postby VueSoft » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi DeanB, the roaming laptop will sync changes when re-connected to the network. I'm not sure what would be causing the duplicates to appear but I'll investigate further. In the meantime, my suggestion would be to sync the calendar only through Google Calendar and not through MySQL Server. You can still share custom fields, custom data, categories, and priorities through MySQL Server - even if the calendar isn't shared through MySQL Server.

Here's how to switch the calendar to syncing only through Google Calendar:

1. Open the Calendar Properties on the computer that "owns" the shared calendar.

2. On the Sync tab, make sure "Sync with Google Calendar" is checked and uncheck "Share with VueMinder on other computers". The calendar should disappear from the other computers.

3. Open the Google Calendar webpage.

4. Click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar you'd like to share and select "Share this calendar".

5. Enter the Google accounts of the people you'd like to be able to access the calendar. Adjust the permissions as needed.

6. On the other computers, click the "File -> Add Calendar -> Add Google Calendar" menu command to add the calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Return to Technical Support